The Student Room Group

In need of support for university and career path

I want to go down the path of investment banking, however I have been rejected by my 5 choices for economics on ucas so I’m forced to go into extra or clearing. I am confused wether if I have the opportunity to enter this career pathway now that I have no chance of getting into a top-tier university as all of them do not participate in extra or clearing.

It’s quite disappointing as I worked so hard to achieve 3A*’s and 1A in A-levels and have lost my future plans as a result of not being able to get into a top university, especially since this is my second year of applying I actually suck at making a UCAS application it seems.

At the moment, I have planned to go into Queen Mary for economics but do I realistically have a chance against students from LSE or Cambridge upon job prospects and employability? Would you recommend I complete a masters degree or work a year in industry to up my competitiveness?

What would you do under my situation, are there any better universities or courses I could enter with my grades at this stage?
Hi there! I would definitely say to go for it when it comes to choosing Queen Mary for your undergrad degree, it's a good university with excellent teaching facilities.

Getting work experience or a master's can be a great idea too as it shows potential employers that you've done a lot of hard work which may make them more likely to employ you. There's also the option to do a degree apprenticeship which combines the opportunity to work and get experience with part time university degree. I found this economics one on the government website if you're interested?: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-government-economic-service-degree-level-apprenticeship . there's also this one: https://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/students/programs/emea/degree-apprentices.html . However, the catch is that they both start next year.

There's also some opportunities with the bank of England: https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/careers/early-careers/application-advice

hope this helps at all!!
Reply 2
Original post by bananasplit20
Hi there! I would definitely say to go for it when it comes to choosing Queen Mary for your undergrad degree, it's a good university with excellent teaching facilities.

Getting work experience or a master's can be a great idea too as it shows potential employers that you've done a lot of hard work which may make them more likely to employ you. There's also the option to do a degree apprenticeship which combines the opportunity to work and get experience with part time university degree. I found this economics one on the government website if you're interested?: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-government-economic-service-degree-level-apprenticeship . there's also this one: https://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/students/programs/emea/degree-apprentices.html . However, the catch is that they both start next year.

There's also some opportunities with the bank of England: https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/careers/early-careers/application-advice

hope this helps at all!!

Thanks for your help, but I don’t think I can afford to miss another year. What do you think about Loughborough vs Queen Mary for economics?
Reply 3
I was also thinking perhaps maybe to do Finance and accounting instead at Durham or Bayes, instead of doing economics at Queen Mary. If I cannot get into a top-target or semi-target for economics, it would jeopardise my chances for investment banking greatly already and also high paying career prospects in general.

If I were to study A&F at Bayes, which is regarded highly in that course internationally, perhaps it may lead to better career prospects than studying economics at Queen Mary.

What do you guys think?
Reply 4
Bump
Do you already have your A level results?

Have you written to ask for feedback on your rejections from your 5 choices?
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Do you already have your A level results?

Have you written to ask for feedback on your rejections from your 5 choices?

Yeah, I’ve got 4A*’s achieved in Maths, Physics, History and EPQ. I applied for all econ. I was rejected from LSE for personal statement. Imperial, kings, UCL because of competitiveness. Id say the biggest reason for my rejections are probably because I didn’t take further maths (which wasn’t provided to me by my school) which is kind of unfair
Reply 7
I’m looking at either A&F at Bayes with a placement year and I’ll try to get as many micro placements and internships as possible, or economics at Queen Mary with a placement year. Which would you say would provide me with better career prospects?
Original post by Chris2838
Thanks for your help, but I don’t think I can afford to miss another year. What do you think about Loughborough vs Queen Mary for economics?

Hi @Chris2838

It's great to hear you're thinking about coming to Loughborough! I'm currently in my first year here so I thought I might be able to help.

If you're interested in studying Economics at here, I would suggest taking a look at our course page where you find information including course content, fees, entry and language requirements and how to apply. If you scroll down to the 'what I'll study section' on the course page you'll be able to see the modules you would be studying and see if anything interests you in particular. It's also worth noting that on this course there is the option to do a placement year or a study abroad year which may be of interest to you (more info can be found on the course page). If you have any course specific questions you can email [email protected] and they will be able to help you.

In terms of Loughborough more generally, it offers an amazing community feel and is a great student town! There are plenty restaurants and pubs in town to go out to eat and drink. Most of my time in the week is spent on campus as there is lots on like going to watch the Loughborough first teams play, playing sport and just relaxing with friends as well as the nights out the union puts on in the week but at the weekend you do tend to go out in town more. Loughborough is however a market town and can't offer what a city can but usually if we want more of a city atmosphere we just get the train to Leicester or Nottingham which both take less than 20 minutes and is very easy to do. The thing I appreciate about Loughborough being a smaller town is that there is a nice community feel and it really does feel like a student town. When you go out you always bump into someone you know which I've found really nice and it makes you feel like the campus extends to the town.

I hope this was helpful and if you have any other questions feel free to get in touch :smile:

Jess
Reply 9
Bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending