The Student Room Group

n/a

n/a
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by spliced
Nearing the end of year 12 (End of April now), and wondering if it is possible/manageable in any way to teach myself year 1 Chemistry from now till the end of summer, so that I’m caught up for year 13 content in september. I know this is extremely ambitious, but just want to know if any one has been in a similar situation where they’ve taken up an alevel this late into the year, and how it has worked out for them. I know I can convince my school if I can prove that I am capable of getting a good grade (I’m currently working at A*A*A and got three 9s in GCSE triple science). I know chemistry is extremely difficult and a lot different from GCSE, so please let me know if this would not be a sensible idea. I just feel like Chemistry would be enjoyable for me and benefit my future career- I want to go into neuroscience after a psych degree. I am willing to put in the work. Any advice? :smile:

Hello ! Although I cannot offer you any advice but I just want to say you’re amazing ! 😆😆 Good luck !
Sounds like you're prepared to work hard, then I'll say go for it. year 1 contents aren't too hard as long as you have a good base knowledge, and if you understand mechanisms (as in movements of electron pairs, curly arrows) for organic reactions then the rest of organic is all right.
As for physical, they extend on your GCSEs atom knowledge, ions and equilibrium, rates, titrations, bondings, redox etc and aren't as hard when you get used to them. AS chemistry is okay, the real toughest barrier is to not see all the content and panic (like so many people who drop it the first week), they'll eventually make sense. And of course A Level Year 2 is where the toughie really are in, AS in comparison is almost easy
Original post by IQaka0student
Hello ! Although I cannot offer you any advice but I just want to say you’re amazing ! 😆😆 Good luck !

thank you!! I have been feeling super overwhelmed recently, but this made me smile :smile:
Original post by spliced
Nearing the end of year 12 (End of April now), and wondering if it is possible/manageable in any way to teach myself year 1 Chemistry from now till the end of summer, so that I’m caught up for year 13 content in september. I know this is extremely ambitious, but just want to know if any one has been in a similar situation where they’ve taken up an alevel this late into the year, and how it has worked out for them. I know I can convince my school if I can prove that I am capable of getting a good grade (I’m currently working at A*A*A and got three 9s in GCSE triple science). I know chemistry is extremely difficult and a lot different from GCSE, so please let me know if this would not be a sensible idea. I just feel like Chemistry would be enjoyable for me and benefit my future career- I want to go into neuroscience after a psych degree. I am willing to put in the work. Any advice? :smile:

Why not start as soon as Y12 exams are done?
Original post by spliced
Well, If i decide to go through with it then I will ideally be starting after the end of year exams (which are happening right now!). That will give me over 16 weeks. It’s just whether it is manageable/If i’ll have enough motivation.

Are your teachers willing to help?
Original post by spliced
As in the chemistry teachers? or in terms of the teachers letting me do it?

Ideally both - if I was your teacher then I'd lend you texts etc. Howver I'd set you a test for September to make sure you've caught up. I'd also expect you to start lessons asap.
It's doable as you're just in year 12 and have the entire summer to catch up

Quick Reply

Latest