The Student Room Group

After GCSE

I moved to London from the USA 4 months before my gcses with no previous background with the British curriculum, and was told by everyone here that the transition from American curriculum to British is very hard especially during gcse time let alone 4 months before the exams. due to this I was reject from every school stating "its realistically impossible" for me to pass.. fast forward I took my mocks this week and got all 4s and 5s with my teachers keep asking me how I did it and that its "scary impressive" lol . but during the real exam if I do get all 4s and 5s is that actually enough ? can it get me far? and is there anyway to let unis/collages know abt how the odds were 100 against 1 for me & if I did would they care?

BTW when I say I had no background I mean I never took chemistry or physics before so I had to learn 3 years worth in 4 months + other subjects that we NEVER took in America lol yea there that slow 😂
Reply 1
Original post by bdotty
I moved to London from the USA 4 months before my gcses with no previous background with the British curriculum, and was told by everyone here that the transition from American curriculum to British is very hard especially during gcse time let alone 4 months before the exams. due to this I was reject from every school stating "its realistically impossible" for me to pass.. fast forward I took my mocks this week and got all 4s and 5s with my teachers keep asking me how I did it and that its "scary impressive" lol . but during the real exam if I do get all 4s and 5s is that actually enough ? can it get me far? and is there anyway to let unis/collages know abt how the odds were 100 against 1 for me & if I did would they care?

BTW when I say I had no background I mean I never took chemistry or physics before so I had to learn 3 years worth in 4 months + other subjects that we NEVER took in America lol yea there that slow 😂

it really depends on what you want to do. For example, if you’re going into medicine and dentistry, or any sciences, the competitive nature of the course means that they would need higher scores at GCSEs. I think that A-levels are much more important for unis, as they’re one the main things they look at, so if you worked hard at them, you should be okay. It’s a big jump though, so yeah. Anyway, good luck!! I moved to the UK in Year 10, so although I had a longer time than you did, I still understand what you mean :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest