The Student Room Group

GCSE ENGLISH: More advanced level words for essays?

I was wondering if there are any quizlets to find more high level vocabulary for gcse English
Original post by paracqilo
I was wondering if there are any quizlets to find more high level vocabulary for gcse English

Not sure if this is the type of vocab you’re looking for, but in terms of actually structuring your essays/analysis I would definitely avoid overusing terms such as ‘the writer shows’ or ‘emphasises’ and replace them with more specific terms like the writer ‘seeks to explore’, ‘highlights’, ‘depicts’ etc. And then further explain or conclude with ‘this reinforces the idea..’. This might seem obvious, but it really does bring greater depth to your essays and makes them more thoughtful and coherent. Sorry if ive completely missed the point of your post, but I feel like these are important regardless if you are looking for the top bands :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by bamsa
Not sure if this is the type of vocab you’re looking for, but in terms of actually structuring your essays/analysis I would definitely avoid overusing terms such as ‘the writer shows’ or ‘emphasises’ and replace them with more specific terms like the writer ‘seeks to explore’, ‘highlights’, ‘depicts’ etc. And then further explain or conclude with ‘this reinforces the idea..’. This might seem obvious, but it really does bring greater depth to your essays and makes them more thoughtful and coherent. Sorry if ive completely missed the point of your post, but I feel like these are important regardless if you are looking for the top bands :smile:

Yesss i needed something as i keep repeating words like "furthermore" and "Moreover" countless times in my essays. I just needed more essay vocabulary. Thank you for help!!

Quick Reply

Latest