The Student Room Group

A-level russian

Hello, I am doing A-level in russian language, I really cant manage to find ANYTHING related to essay in russian and its writing style, is it really just English essay in Russian, or it has a different structure, maybe someone could provide some materials/links (even paid-access resources will do) please because I am really struggling here, thanks everyone
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes it is accept according to Ohio University, in English, only pronouns shows three cases: The subject case, the object case, and the possessive case. Examples: "I, me, my/mine" and "he, him, his." Other words distinguish their syntactic usage within a sentence by their word position. Whereas Russian, has six cases to show what function a noun has in a sentence: nominative, genitive, dative, accusative, instrumental, and prepositional. The endings of Russian words change depending on the case they are in.

According to Maia Nikitina

The Russian Sentence Word Order :argh: :bird:

As you know each Russian case has its own purpose and answers a particular set of questions. One of the reasons that cases are so important in the Russian language is the flexibility of the Russian sentence word order. As sentences can be put together in so many ways, cases help distinguish the sentence's subject from its object.

Example:

In all the following sentences, "Masha" is in the nominative case while "kasha" is in the accusative case.

Neutral: Маша ела кашу (MAsha YElah KAshu) - Masha was eating kasha.

Emphasis on who was eating the porridge: Кашу ела Маша (KAshu YElah Masha) - Masha was eating kasha.

Emphasis on the action of eating: Маша кашу ела (MAsha YElah KAshu) - Masha was eating kasha.

Emphasis on what Masha was eating: Ела Маша кашу (YElah MAsha KAshu) - Masha was eating kasha.

Emphasis on Masha's action: Ела кашу Маша (YElah KAshu MAsha) - Masha was eating kasha.

Emphasis on either the food that was being eaten or the action: Кашу Маша ела (KAshu MAsha YElah) - Masha was eating kasha.

All these phrases mean the same thing. As you can see, in Russian, each word can be used in any position in this sentence. While the general meaning remains the same, the word order changes the sentence’s register and adds subtle meanings that in English would be conveyed by intonation. It is the cases that allow this word order flexibility by pointing out that Masha in all these sentences is the subject and kasha is the object.

SELF STUDY ADVICE/USEFUL WEBSITES
http://www.russianforfree.com/
https://everydayrussianlanguage.com/en/level/advanced/
Exemplar exam papers can be found on the Edexcel:

As a rule students learn essay structure from answering GCSE questions The examiner will expect you to have learnt this structure and.be more advance on reaching A-level.

Look at GCSE Russian first
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/Russian/2009/Exam%20materials/5RU04_01_pef_20170823.pdf
read through carefully
Look at A-level Russian tis gives sample of what the examiner is looking for.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A-Level/Russian/2013/Exam-materials/6RU04_01_pef_20170816.pdf

Put the following as is into the the google search and see what comes up.
A-Level Edexcel A/A* Russian Exemplar Essays - Tes

*Watch from 12mins in

https://www.youtube.com/@MoscowO

All the best...

:hello:
Original post by Dimashus
Hello, I am doing A-level in russian language, I really cant manage to find ANYTHING related to essay in russian and its writing style, is it really just English essay in Russian, or it has a different structure, maybe someone could provide some materials/links (even paid-access resources will do) please because I am really struggling here, thanks everyone

hey! im doing russian alevel this year too and ngl am scared. hardly anyone does it and it's a lot more work than i anticipated!

for the essays i've been told that you should have an intro, 3 points with evidence/analysis and a conclusion. So basically a really basic english essay but in russian.

good luck to you :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
omg hi. im fully fluent, so im fully confident with paper 1 and stuff but im worried about the IRP. I chose a topic but im confused whether the key findings should be from my sources or not? also i truly cannot be bothered to watch the film haha. good luck tho!
Original post by safarii7
omg hi. im fully fluent, so im fully confident with paper 1 and stuff but im worried about the IRP. I chose a topic but im confused whether the key findings should be from my sources or not? also i truly cannot be bothered to watch the film haha. good luck tho!

stop i wish i was fluent; im really scared ngl going up against fluent people esp since so few people do it. Do you have any tips for the paper 1? for the irp, they don't have to be from the source but good to have links from them.
Original post by yablok774
stop i wish i was fluent; im really scared ngl going up against fluent people esp since so few people do it. Do you have any tips for the paper 1? for the irp, they don't have to be from the source but good to have links from them.

oh ok thanks.
honestly, just listen to the audio in the listening part a few times bc they speak quite quick and the wording in the task on the actual paper can be not so straight forward. The 20 mark translation is annoying for me bc its LITERALLY a word-for-word translation. I checked mark schemes and its just the simplest words you can use, it a direct translation, so there's no need to show off your vocab knowledge. That's kind of it, im not putting in too much work to prepare, i still have to watch the movie haha
oh ok thanks.
honestly, just listen to the audio in the listening part a few times bc they speak quite quick and the wording in the task on the actual paper can be not so straight forward. The 20 mark translation is annoying for me bc its LITERALLY a word-for-word translation. I checked mark schemes and its just the simplest words you can use, it a direct translation, so there's no need to show off your vocab knowledge. That's kind of it, im not putting in too much work to prepare, i still have to watch the movie haha

thanks! which movie are you picking?
Reply 7
Утомленные солнцем

I've only started watching it yesterday and the scenery looks great but the tension between the two main characters makes me cringe hahaha
i'm so stressed for my a levels in general idk if i'll do well
thanks! which movie are you picking?
Reply 8
Утомленные солнцем

I've only started watching it yesterday and the scenery looks great but the tension between the two main characters makes me cringe hahaha
i'm so stressed for my a levels in general idk if i'll do well

Ahh nice, don't stress I'm sure you'll do great :smile:
Reply 9
How did everyone find paper 1?
Reply 10
Original post by BarnabyK
How did everyone find paper 1?[/QUO

So difficult! How did you find it?
Reply 11
Original post by Sebpegr
How did everyone find paper 1?[/QUO

So difficult! How did you find it?

Everything was fine until the last translation question! I deffo dropped 5-6 marks there 😭😭
Reply 12
The entire question on the woman and her husband travelling to St. Petersburg was so hard and for what:s-smilie:
Reply 13
yeah no that was hard. Harder than the previous few papers 100%
Reply 14
Everything was fine until the last translation question! I deffo dropped 5-6 marks there 😭😭

Agreed! usually i find translations easier so i started with it but it just scared me LOL
Reply 15
Original post by zoom0817
The entire question on the woman and her husband travelling to St. Petersburg was so hard and for what:s-smilie:

Was this the one where:

1. Got there on the train
2. Saw the church where she and her husband got married (had to name it)
3. Left the hotel because it was either uncomfortable/unaffordable (не по карману)
4. The guy was happy because his son was born
5. We had to give the adjectives for what life would be like (hard, complicated, and something else? I gave 3 here)

I forgot the rest but hopefully someone can corroborate my answers lmfaooo

yeah no that was hard. Harder than the previous few papers 100%

Agreed! usually i find translations easier so i started with it but it just scared me LOL

Oh my god, the translation threw me so much. I'm not a native speaker, and I had no idea what was going on. It was noticeably more complicated than the other years. I'm hoping the boundaries overall are lower this year.

The final speaking question about the palace guard and the theft threw me so much - you know the summary one? That, and the putsch one where we had to describe the reaction of the woman. Managed to explain "putsch" as "государственный переворот" tho so hopefully that works!
Reply 16
Was this the one where:

1. Got there on the train
2. Saw the church where she and her husband got married (had to name it)
3. Left the hotel because it was either uncomfortable/unaffordable (не по карману)
4. The guy was happy because his son was born
5. We had to give the adjectives for what life would be like (hard, complicated, and something else? I gave 3 here)

I forgot the rest but hopefully someone can corroborate my answers lmfaooo

Oh my god, the translation threw me so much. I'm not a native speaker, and I had no idea what was going on. It was noticeably more complicated than the other years. I'm hoping the boundaries overall are lower this year.

The final speaking question about the palace guard and the theft threw me so much - you know the summary one? That, and the putsch one where we had to describe the reaction of the woman. Managed to explain "putsch" as "государственный переворот" tho so hopefully that works!

Yep pretty much agree i got the same answers for the Saint petersburg question.

Ikr! Not a native speaker either so the word order in that translation threw me off - so much harder than last years translation! I'm so happy i guessed зрелище correctly lol.

Yes definitely - I don't remember if the guard question a real event or made up bc it felt like a made up story LOL. I was just transcribing for 4 (b) tbh. thats a good answer for putsch, i said something about a change in government :/
Reply 17
q 4 in the listening was so random. Some of the reading was ok, but I remember spending longer than I should have on the question about the walking paths in moscow. I dropped a lot of marks on the translation I think though (and my irp was on the circus). Feeling like I'm going to need to make up a lot in the writing. Is anyone else doing левиафан, пиковая дама, or вишневый сад?

Desperately need lower boundaries but what the govmnt said about 2019 boundaries isnt looking too hopeful

What about the speaking? I was very pleasantly surprised with mine, I got really lucky and got my card on theme 3, which is the easiest theme imo.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 18
How's everyone feeling for paper 2 writing? I'm doing Burnt by the Sun and Queen of Spades, do you lot think they'll be nice on the titles this year?
Reply 19
Original post by Jimmy2k5
q 4 in the listening was so random. Some of the reading was ok, but I remember spending longer than I should have on the question about the walking paths in moscow. I dropped a lot of marks on the translation I think though (and my irp was on the circus). Feeling like I'm going to need to make up a lot in the writing. Is anyone else doing левиафан, пиковая дама, or вишневый сад?

Desperately need lower boundaries but what the govmnt said about 2019 boundaries isnt looking too hopeful

What about the speaking? I was very pleasantly surprised with mine, I got really lucky and got my card on theme 3, which is the easiest theme imo.

How's everyone feeling for paper 2 writing? I'm doing Burnt by the Sun and Queen of Spades, do you lot think they'll be nice on the titles this year?

I'm doing leviathan and sonechka! Tbh judging by paper 1 I don't think the titles will be particularly generous, but I think the grade boundaries can't be too high if everyone found it weird. Speaking was okay, my card was v niche but I managed to link some interesting stuff :smile:

Also, how are you revising/studying for paper 2? I don't do other essay subjects so I'm quite stuck on how to go about it - no point writing loads of essays if no one marks them right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending