The Student Room Group

Urgent: Cambridge written work for English (Thanks!)

So I'm applying for English at Cambridge and I have to submit two pieces of written work. However, my teacher simply cannot assign two essays for the class within the deadline, and thus I will have to ask them to specifically assign me one to work on independently. Since we will be writing one about a poet we're studying for A-level, should I also ask the teacher to assign me an essay about that same poet which I may link to wider reading, or should I ask them for an essay topic analysing texts that are not part of (but can be related to) our A-level syllabus? Does either choice show relevancy to the course? Should I aim for diversity instead?P.S. We have not studied anything else apart from that poet and some of his poems, but I can analyse other texts from the syllabus by studying it in advance on my own.
Reply 1
Looking at Cambridge requirements for BSc in English, they say:

Submitted work
Applicants to all Colleges are required to submit two pieces of written work prior to interview.

Firstly, it sounds like these written pieces are not due before the application deadline, only if you get an interview invite, so you have more time.

Secondly, this does not specify that the pieces should be related to your current year's curriculum. Do you not have any good essays from last year or earlier years, or any written pieces you have written outside of school curriculum (e.g. if for your supercurriculrs you published some articles - could be for school publications)?
Reply 2
Original post by blluefish

Submitted work
Applicants to all Colleges are required to submit two pieces of written work prior to interview.

Firstly, it sounds like these written pieces are not due before the application deadline, only if you get an interview invite, so you have more time.

Secondly, this does not specify that the pieces should be related to your current year's curriculum. Do you not have any good essays from last year or earlier years, or any written pieces you have written outside of school curriculum (e.g. if for your supercurriculrs you published some articles - could be for school publications)?

First of all, thank you for your reply.

The website did say that they want pieces as recent as possible, so I do not plan to submit essays from last year. Furthermore, the Queens' College website (which is the college I'm applying to) said that they want to see a piece of extended prose as well. Given that my first essay is not that, nor any of the works I did last year, I am thinking of writing an extended essay now. I may have chosen other pieces if not for the website emphasising for work done for the course -- I know these are just 'preferences', but I hope following all of them (or at least most of them) would increase my chances of getting an offer.

As for the deadline, it is on 2 Nov, which is before the interviews.
Reply 3
Hey! I've also applied for English (at Clare) and I'm really not sure what work to submit. I was thinking of maybe cutting down my English coursework on gender dynamics within marriage (it's 3000 words, I believe they want 1,000-2,000 words) and submitting that. Let me know what you end up submitting! x
Reply 4
Original post by kaxxxxc2
Hey! I've also applied for English (at Clare) and I'm really not sure what work to submit. I was thinking of maybe cutting down my English coursework on gender dynamics within marriage (it's 3000 words, I believe they want 1,000-2,000 words) and submitting that. Let me know what you end up submitting! x

Just make sure it is marked again if you do this
Reply 5
Original post by blluefish

Submitted work

Written work must be submitted well before interview.Usually in fortnight after application closes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending