The Student Room Group

Can OCR disqualify me?

So doing Computer Science OCR A Level coursework.

Did some coding.

Basically used one from online and added some extra features while changing all the wordings. Variables if you know what they are.

So basically couldnt change 5 lines which looks about 80% similar to the one I copied.

Basically my question is will they disqualify me.

I have 915 lines of code and at strictest 0.016% of my code is basically plagiarised.

Bearing in my mind that I also wrote 10,000 word essay about my code.

In my opinion I think they won't disqualify me being optimistic about it of course.

But yh any advise ??
Reply 1
It depends how trivial the code is. If it's just something like you don't know how to read a file in C# so you look it up in the manual and add that to your code, you're not plagiarising, you're using the API.
But if you have a problem like, "create an algorithm to find the quickest route from one location to another whilst avoiding a blocked road", and you lift an algorithm from an online blog, then you're plagiarising regardless of whether you switch words for synonyms.

If you are allowed to consult external sources in this assignment then just cite the source correctly and you're golden. If not, then don't plagiarise.

I good technique people use to prevent plagiarism when they are allowed to check external sources is to read the source with your text editor closed, understand it well enough to be able to explain how it works, then close the online source. Now open your text editor and implement what you understand without opening the online source again. Don't try to memorise the source, understand the concepts and the ideas, then implement that. Your code should now be largely your own, so cite your source and move on.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BeADan
It depends how trivial the code is. If it's just something like you don't know how to read a file in C# so you look it up in the manual and add that to your code, you're not plagiarising, you're using the API.
But if you have a problem like, "create an algorithm to find the quickest route from one location to another whilst avoiding a blocked road", and you lift an algorithm from an online blog, then you're plagiarising regardless of whether you switch words for synonyms.

If you are allowed to consult external sources in this assignment then just cite the source correctly and you're golden. If not, then don't plagiarise.

I good technique people use to prevent plagiarism when they are allowed to check external sources is to read the source with your text editor closed, understand it well enough to be able to explain how it works, then close the online source. Now open your text editor and implement what you understand without opening the online source again. Don't try to memorise the source, understand the concepts and the ideas, then implement that. Your code should now be largely your own, so cite your source and move on.

I dont have it with me. I have submitted it.

But basically that one I got was running python back end only.

I converted it to Python Tkinter which is basically both front and back end.

I understand the code but yh just scared about it.

It's because its connected to text files that's why I was struggling with it.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 3
You should be fine, don't worry! I know many many people who have taken almost entirely from online and got away with it, but you yourself shouldn't worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending