The Student Room Group

alarm went off in a level exam

we had our exam in a classroom so everyone had to bring bags inside the room as there was no cloakroom etc and younger years were running about outside. i left my phone at the back of the room with my bags on silent and airplane mode but some random alarm went off. i said it was my phone and they wrote down my candidate nummber. will i be disqualified?? or marks lost? it was at the back with everyones bags which also wouldve had their phones in.. the invigilator said it would be fine she just had to write it down, but after googling similar situations i am getting stressed
Original post by evaadenizz
we had our exam in a classroom so everyone had to bring bags inside the room as there was no cloakroom etc and younger years were running about outside. i left my phone at the back of the room with my bags on silent and airplane mode but some random alarm went off. i said it was my phone and they wrote down my candidate nummber. will i be disqualified?? or marks lost? it was at the back with everyones bags which also wouldve had their phones in.. the invigilator said it would be fine she just had to write it down, but after googling similar situations i am getting stressed

The official guidance from the Joint Council for Qualifications (which is a umbrella organisation for AQA, OCR, Pearson/Edexcel, etc. - i.e. all the exam boards) is called "Suspected Malpractice Policies and Procedures" and is available here.

Appendix 6, Indicative Sanctions Against Candidates, covers several different scenarios and provides an indication of the appropriate sanction, and includes this one:

"Mobile phone or similar electronic devices (including iPod, MP3/4 player, memory sticks, smartphone, smartwatch, airpods, earphones and headphones) not in the candidate’s possession but makes a noise in the examination room."

That's a perfect match for what happened to you, right? The appropriate sanction is listed simply as "warning". So no disqualification and no loss of marks.

So trust the invigilator when they say it'll be fine. It will be. :smile:
Reply 2
ahh bless u thanks thats soo reassuring!!! cheers xx

Quick Reply

Latest