The Student Room Group

what is observational studies in art?

hi guys im doing gcse art and i just would like to know what is observational studies? i cant find a good explanation. and what the point of it???
Reply 1
This is what I found:
Observational art is to draw or paint a subject as accurately as possible. The subject may be a still life, figure model, portrait or landscape and the image must be created from real life rather than a photograph or the artist’s imagination.

The artist studies the subject on its own terms. For example, this could include a study of the behaviour of light, colours, forms, textures etc.

A key point to remember when practising observational art is to draw what you see, not what you know!

https://www.askaboutireland.ie/learning-zone/secondary-students/art/observational-studies/#:~:text=Observational%20art%20is%20to%20draw,subject%20on%20its%20own%20terms.
Reply 2
They're basically drawings from life, for example if I drew an apple on the desk in front of me. Some people also count drawings based on pictures you took yourself as observational, but that really depends on you and your teacher. The point of them is to force you to focus on what you see in front of you, not an idea on your head, as this is how you can improve your skills fastest. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by keeks05
They're basically drawings from life, for example if I drew an apple on the desk in front of me. Some people also count drawings based on pictures you took yourself as observational, but that really depends on you and your teacher. The point of them is to force you to focus on what you see in front of you, not an idea on your head, as this is how you can improve your skills fastest. :smile:

that makes sense now!!
i was so confused because my teacher never made it makes sense
thanks for telling me

Quick Reply

Latest