The Student Room Group

Taking a level art without doing gcse

Our school limits the amount of gcse subjects we can take quite drastically, (only two options, the third is always a language and suggested to be whichever you’ve studied from year seven). I initially chose art but switched to drama because I didn’t want to lose enjoyment for it. I’d like to take it for a level and have applied to take it at the school I’ve been accepted to, but I need to present a portfolio. I’m not sure what to include in a portfolio for it to be truthful. What could I include or what should I work on to develop my art skills so they accept it. (I’m now considering an arts/architecture career and need to take art). Thank you!! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by bunnybones3
Our school limits the amount of gcse subjects we can take quite drastically, (only two options, the third is always a language and suggested to be whichever you’ve studied from year seven). I initially chose art but switched to drama because I didn’t want to lose enjoyment for it. I’d like to take it for a level and have applied to take it at the school I’ve been accepted to, but I need to present a portfolio. I’m not sure what to include in a portfolio for it to be truthful. What could I include or what should I work on to develop my art skills so they accept it. (I’m now considering an arts/architecture career and need to take art). Thank you!! :smile:
does the school offer any guidance on what to include? if not here's an example of A level art portfolio criteria, but i would think if they're asking for a portfolio they'd give you some idea of what they want to see/how many pieces. In general, I would say try and show off as many different skills, media, subjects etc as you can. some ideas for things to include:

observational sketches / life drawing

perspective drawing (you can reuse these for your uni application portfolio if you decide to take architecture)

drawings of large objects or scenes (landscapes, street scenes etc)

detailed studies of small objects and different materials

photography (depends if they accept it)

and try and do these using different media, e.g., a watercolour landscape, graphite drapery study, charcoal study of a wooden table, ink sketch of a person you see on the street, etc. good youtube channels for tutorials if you need them is Proko for a wide variety of subjects/media, and Stephen Travers Art for specific tutorials on pen drawing and drawing buildings.

disclaimer: I did my A-levels several years ago so my advice may be outdated, i also did Fine Art specifically so this may not be good advice for other art a levels
Reply 2
Original post by Pedr0
does the school offer any guidance on what to include? if not here's an example of A level art portfolio criteria, but i would think if they're asking for a portfolio they'd give you some idea of what they want to see/how many pieces. In general, I would say try and show off as many different skills, media, subjects etc as you can. some ideas for things to include:

observational sketches / life drawing

perspective drawing (you can reuse these for your uni application portfolio if you decide to take architecture)

drawings of large objects or scenes (landscapes, street scenes etc)

detailed studies of small objects and different materials

photography (depends if they accept it)

and try and do these using different media, e.g., a watercolour landscape, graphite drapery study, charcoal study of a wooden table, ink sketch of a person you see on the street, etc. good youtube channels for tutorials if you need them is Proko for a wide variety of subjects/media, and Stephen Travers Art for specific tutorials on pen drawing and drawing buildings.
disclaimer: I did my A-levels several years ago so my advice may be outdated, i also did Fine Art specifically so this may not be good advice for other art a levels
oh my god thank you so much this is so helpful!. No sadly they don’t offer any advice about it :frown: I asked and they just said to bring a portfolio with no specific direction. Definitely going to follow this! THANK YOU YOURE THE BESTT

Quick Reply

Latest