The Student Room Group

Is it bad if i ask for an extension for my assignment

I’ve been struggling a lot mentally. Alongside with that I have assignments which I’ve barely started on. One of them im halfway, the other one is a resub which I haven’t started.
Just a lot of stuff, I’m trying to seek counselling.

I was wondering if it’s bad to ask for an extension for my assignments. My teacher is a bit strict and I don’t know how she’ll react.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been struggling a lot mentally. Alongside with that I have assignments which I’ve barely started on. One of them im halfway, the other one is a resub which I haven’t started.
Just a lot of stuff, I’m trying to seek counselling.

I was wondering if it’s bad to ask for an extension for my assignments. My teacher is a bit strict and I don’t know how she’ll react.

It's not bad at all. As someone with chronic mental health conditions, it's just something we gotta do sometimes (especially when help is often on the waitlist). Even if your teacher is strict, the best thing to do is be as honest as possible if you are comfortable doing so, you don't have to go into a tone of detail. Even if you don't know how she'll react, the worst thing she can say is no and then even then, you would hope some other solutions/help can be provided. I don't know your teacher but hopefully they'll understand. Mental Health is hard sometimes and the help just isn't as fast as it used to be.

I wish you all the best with it and if you ever need advice around college or university in terms of struggling with MH, feel free to drop a reply or message. I'm no professional but I've health with anxiety/depression for a few years now if you need to talk :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Sav055
It's not bad at all. As someone with chronic mental health conditions, it's just something we gotta do sometimes (especially when help is often on the waitlist). Even if your teacher is strict, the best thing to do is be as honest as possible if you are comfortable doing so, you don't have to go into a tone of detail. Even if you don't know how she'll react, the worst thing she can say is no and then even then, you would hope some other solutions/help can be provided. I don't know your teacher but hopefully they'll understand. Mental Health is hard sometimes and the help just isn't as fast as it used to be.

I wish you all the best with it and if you ever need advice around college or university in terms of struggling with MH, feel free to drop a reply or message. I'm no professional but I've health with anxiety/depression for a few years now if you need to talk :smile:

Thank you for your reply. 2 weeks ago my teacher handed out our assignment both part 2 a new assignment and also part 1 resub. Along with that, I’ve been struggling with depression and just having no motivation left to do anything.

I was about to seek counselling before my mum said no. I went to the GP and they gave me prescription and I told my mum about it and she said no.

I’m about to message my teacher about an extension, hopefully next week I’ll hand it in. I know she’s gonna be ****ed off.

I asked my teacher if she could help me and she just said I should look through the assignment. Which kinda threw me off.
Reply 3
Thank you for your reply. 2 weeks ago my teacher handed out our assignment both part 2 a new assignment and also part 1 resub. Along with that, I’ve been struggling with depression and just having no motivation left to do anything.

I was about to seek counselling before my mum said no. I went to the GP and they gave me prescription and I told my mum about it and she said no.

I’m about to message my teacher about an extension, hopefully next week I’ll hand it in. I know she’s gonna be ****ed off.

I asked my teacher if she could help me and she just said I should look through the assignment. Which kinda threw me off.

How old are you? If you are old enough to be prescribed antidepressants by the GP, you are old enough to decide to take them without asking your parents for permission! Don't let your parents stop you from getting help - the longer you leave things, the harder it will be to get better in the future! Please seek counselling and whatever else you think might help you - you are the one who will have to live with the consequences of not getting help, not your mother! I'm sure she isn't trying to stop you getting help out of malicious intent but if you need the support, it is best to get it early rather than leave things to continue to get worse... I wish you the best of luck with your assignments, and really hope you get the help and support you deserve!
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
How old are you? If you are old enough to be prescribed antidepressants by the GP, you are old enough to decide to take them without asking your parents for permission! Don't let your parents stop you from getting help - the longer you leave things, the harder it will be to get better in the future! Please seek counselling and whatever else you think might help you - you are the one who will have to live with the consequences of not getting help, not your mother! I'm sure she isn't trying to stop you getting help out of malicious intent but if you need the support, it is best to get it early rather than leave things to continue to get worse... I wish you the best of luck with your assignments, and really hope you get the help and support you deserve!

19. Thank you, I’ll try and seek out for some help. I’m just scared my parents may find out.
Reply 5
19. Thank you, I’ll try and seek out for some help. I’m just scared my parents may find out.

You are legally an adult. You don't have to tell your parents that you are seeking help. And what's the worst that can happen if they do find out?
Reply 6
You are legally an adult. You don't have to tell your parents that you are seeking help. And what's the worst that can happen if they do find out?

Okay. The worst thing, they won’t talk to me and may look down on me, wondering why I’m getting help.
Reply 7
Okay. The worst thing, they won’t talk to me and may look down on me, wondering why I’m getting help.

I very much doubt that should be a permanent thing, even if that happens? And they may not react that way. Or they may not even find out if you don't tell them.
Reply 8
I very much doubt that should be a permanent thing, even if that happens? And they may not react that way. Or they may not even find out if you don't tell them.

Okay. I do tend to doubt myself. What if I’m overreacting or I don’t need anyone to talk to. I don’t know.
Reply 9
Okay. I do tend to doubt myself. What if I’m overreacting or I don’t need anyone to talk to. I don’t know.

From what you have said, it doesn't sound like you are overreacting at all. The fact that you are needing an extension to do you assignments, the fact you GP has prescribed you medication - those are all subjective markers of the fact you are struggling (the way you have worded your OP makes me think you don't normally need extensions, and your GP wouldn't have prescribed medication if they didn't think you needed it - they are usually pretty reluctant to prescribe medications for mental health issues to young people). And people don't seek out counselling when they are managing just fine, so there is clearly stuff going on that you feel you need to get off your chest.

It's OK to ask for help. Even if there are people out there with more stuff going on than you, that doesn't mean your issues aren't valid and aren't affecting you :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest