The Student Room Group

Does taking different a levels after first sitting count as a resit?

To preface, I want to apply to medicine because I want to get into psychiatry. I am aware I can get into a psychology course and then do a medicine course after completing a psychology degree. But, that takes a long time so, it's my plan B.

Plan A, I'm about to take my A-level exams in 2 weeks (Psychology, English and Maths) and I'm already set for a 2-year A-level biology and chemistry course starting this September. But, anytime I research anywhere about taking different A levels after my original A levels, the only thing that comes up is resits. So, I'm confused about whether uni resit policies apply to this situation (I know different unis have different resit policies).

I was taking physics as well (cuz I was going into engineering) but, my teachers convinced me to drop it since I had changed career aspirations, which I very much, deeply regret since someone here mentioned some unis accept a science with a pending grade for chem or bio.

My question is, would I still be able to apply to medicine at the end of year 13 with my current A-levels with a conditional on what I get in chem or bio (granted I get AAA my first sitting)? If not then the second question is, would uni's treat this as a resit/re-enrollment?
Clearly they aren't resits as you haven't done them before.

From what you have said you are in year 13 now and will be starting the two new A-levels next year? So you wouldn't be able to apply next year as you would need to apply the same year you are taking the final exams for the new subjects. Same reason you can't apply in year 12 to uni...
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Clearly they aren't resits as you haven't done them before.

From what you have said you are in year 13 now and will be starting the two new A-levels next year? So you wouldn't be able to apply next year as you would need to apply the same year you are taking the final exams for the new subjects. Same reason you can't apply in year 12 to uni...

Thank you for your answer! So, let's say I want to apply to somewhere like UCL for medicine, would my application be regarded the same as everyone else's (considering I pass the entry requirements) or would taking another year with dif A levels affect my application? It's just that I don't see many cases like this at all and I'm really not sure how smoothly things will play. One of my friends said that it would put me at a disadvantage.
Original post by zaereii
Thank you for your answer! So, let's say I want to apply to somewhere like UCL for medicine, would my application be regarded the same as everyone else's (considering I pass the entry requirements) or would taking another year with dif A levels affect my application? It's just that I don't see many cases like this at all and I'm really not sure how smoothly things will play. One of my friends said that it would put me at a disadvantage.

Can't say for certain. If they wanted to specifically see you take the sciences as part of a full set of 3 A-levels in one sitting, it might be an issue. If they're not fussed about that though then I can't see why they would have any other issues.

Your best bet is to just ask the medical schools themselves, if it's not clearly stated on their admissions pages.
Original post by zaereii
To preface, I want to apply to medicine because I want to get into psychiatry. I am aware I can get into a psychology course and then do a medicine course after completing a psychology degree. But, that takes a long time so, it's my plan B.

Plan A, I'm about to take my A-level exams in 2 weeks (Psychology, English and Maths) and I'm already set for a 2-year A-level biology and chemistry course starting this September. But, anytime I research anywhere about taking different A levels after my original A levels, the only thing that comes up is resits. So, I'm confused about whether uni resit policies apply to this situation (I know different unis have different resit policies).

I was taking physics as well (cuz I was going into engineering) but, my teachers convinced me to drop it since I had changed career aspirations, which I very much, deeply regret since someone here mentioned some unis accept a science with a pending grade for chem or bio.

My question is, would I still be able to apply to medicine at the end of year 13 with my current A-levels with a conditional on what I get in chem or bio (granted I get AAA my first sitting)? If not then the second question is, would uni's treat this as a resit/re-enrollment?

Hi, I'm In the exact same boat and hoping you have found an answer

Quick Reply

Latest