The Student Room Group

how to modulate from f# major (music gcse)

Hi, I'm working on a 32-bar composition for my music mock exams (gcse ocr), currently going with a solo piano piece
My piece is in F# major, I'd like to modulate to get those extra marks in but kind of confused on how. preferably to relative minor (d# minor I believe).
Any help appreciated :smile:
Hi, have you written out your chord charts? And are you familiar with the circle of 5ths? - a technique used to find the accidentals and key signature of each key. In order to modulate to the tonic minor (which would be F# minor), the easiest way to get there is the pivot on chord 5.
You could finish with a cadence and start the new phrase in D#minor.
You've picked a weird key, and in order to be in the key of D# minor you need to remember the raise the 5th, therefore the c# is raised to a cx (double sharp).

The easiest way to pivot to D# minor would be use chord vi which is the D#m chord (it is chord vi of F# major and is chord i of D# minor).

This particular chord, since it's chord vi of the original key, should not be inverted.
Remember that you must include the accidentals - in minor keys you must raise the 7th as I said therefore you must remember to include a double sharp on the C. Please double check with your teacher if you can! This should be the easiest pivot, and it's how I would choose to modulate to this key.

Edit: Hey, sorry have just seen on a separate thread that someone has already given the same answer as me. (I also have just finished my A level music). If you have any questions feel free to ask.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous0305
Hi, have you written out your chord charts? And are you familiar with the circle of 5ths? - a technique used to find the accidentals and key signature of each key. In order to modulate to the tonic minor (which would be F# minor), the easiest way to get there is the pivot on chord 5.
You could finish with a cadence and start the new phrase in D#minor.
You've picked a weird key, and in order to be in the key of D# minor you need to remember the raise the 5th, therefore the c# is raised to a cx (double sharp).

The easiest way to pivot to D# minor would be use chord vi which is the D#m chord (it is chord vi of F# major and is chord i of D# minor).

This particular chord, since it's chord vi of the original key, should not be inverted.
Remember that you must include the accidentals - in minor keys you must raise the 7th as I said therefore you must remember to include a double sharp on the C. Please double check with your teacher if you can! This should be the easiest pivot, and it's how I would choose to modulate to this key.

Edit: Hey, sorry have just seen on a separate thread that someone has already given the same answer as me. (I also have just finished my A level music). If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Hello! I hope your A-levels went well :smile: not to worry about the other thread
I actually was wrong about the key I was composing in- although I intended for it to be in f# major I actually ended up writing in d# minor to begin with :P probably shouldn't have taken music gcse when I know almost nothing about music theory
but since a lot of people including yourself have said f# major is a weird key, maybe its for the best
I did do what the reply in the other thread suggested and end a section on the d# major chord, which I think is tierce de picardie? I'll try continue in that key, hopefully that counts as modulation.
More pressing issue right now is trying to get my software to notate the rhythms correctly- they're a mess right now!
My A levels went well thanks! Okay, that's fine - it can often be hard to differentiate between whether you're writing in major and minor. Well done on using the tierce de picardie! Did you modulate to the tonic Major in that moment? (continue writing in D# major I mean) or continue in D# minor?
Also remember as I said that D# minor is the one that has the Cx so check that as well unless you're not using the harmonic scale.
Rhythms are so difficult :frown: I empathise
Reply 4
Sorry for the late reply! This week is exam week and I've been studying nonstop lol. Glad to hear yours went well ^^
Well, update on the composition: I completely started over :0
it was just not working out, I tried to be cool and use 12/8 but that kind of sucked and then switching to 4/4 messed up the notation so bad 😭
so I just made a new one without trying to overcomplicate it. It was due yesterday and I got a 9! :biggrin: so I guess I made the right call there.
actually, here it is if you'd like to take a listen. https://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/9f31a0039fe4ceda2ffdc78f7d7729f868090578
Thanks for your help, even if I didn't end up using the idea it explained a lot for me to use in the future!
Wow! It sounds like the part of a film score! Love the use of call and response and building the texture at the beginning, and then dropping the texture at moments, and I love the use of motifs and sequences, as well as your exploration of different techniques such as pitch bends. Your use of syncopated, off beat rhythms adds a nice sense of moto perpetuo and really keeps the piece moving. I also liked the added (almost) three beats of silence that adds a sense of drama halfway through and divides the sections nicely.
Glad to be of help and well done on the 9!
If you ever have any questions about music or composition, send me a message or return to this chat - I'd be happy to help!
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous0305
Wow! It sounds like the part of a film score! Love the use of call and response and building the texture at the beginning, and then dropping the texture at moments, and I love the use of motifs and sequences, as well as your exploration of different techniques such as pitch bends. Your use of syncopated, off beat rhythms adds a nice sense of moto perpetuo and really keeps the piece moving. I also liked the added (almost) three beats of silence that adds a sense of drama halfway through and divides the sections nicely.
Glad to be of help and well done on the 9!
If you ever have any questions about music or composition, send me a message or return to this chat - I'd be happy to help!

Thanks so much :smile: I'll be sure to!

Quick Reply

Latest