The Student Room Group

modulation

Hi, if anyone takes music gcse could I get some help modulating from f# major to d# minor? I'm currently writing a 32 bar free composition for my mocks.
I tried posting this in the specific forum but still no replies and im pressed for time so any help appreciated :smile:
I can provide screenshots of what I have so far if needed.
Original post by x-wing_pilot
Hi, if anyone takes music gcse could I get some help modulating from f# major to d# minor? I'm currently writing a 32 bar free composition for my mocks.
I tried posting this in the specific forum but still no replies and im pressed for time so any help appreciated :smile:

I did GCSE music, I may be able to help but I don't think I used any sort of modulation in my composition. (I did mine in C minor)
Reply 2
my teacher always says 'modulation means marks' so I think she'd be a bit ticked off if I just didn't 😅
do you need screenshots? I've not actually written up to the part where I'm going to modulate but if you want to take a look then sure

Original post by flowersinmyhair
I did GCSE music, I may be able to help but I don't think I used any sort of modulation in my composition. (I did mine in C minor)

I’ve just submitted my compositions for A level so I’m hoping I can be of some use. D# minor is a good shout in that it’s the relative minor so you should be pretty much safe with anything. If you’re trying to modulate quickly then doing a nice perfect cadence in F# major to finish it off and then starting with a chord I in D# minor in the next bar would sound good! Otherwise, you can use pivot chords and find a nice chord in both keys (i in D# minor as vi in F# major for example) but depending on your composition this may be harder. Hope this helps!!
Reply 4
Original post by GiftedDipstick
I’ve just submitted my compositions for A level so I’m hoping I can be of some use. D# minor is a good shout in that it’s the relative minor so you should be pretty much safe with anything. If you’re trying to modulate quickly then doing a nice perfect cadence in F# major to finish it off and then starting with a chord I in D# minor in the next bar would sound good! Otherwise, you can use pivot chords and find a nice chord in both keys (i in D# minor as vi in F# major for example) but depending on your composition this may be harder. Hope this helps!!

Thanks so much! Literally saved my grade
Thanks so much! Literally saved my grade

You’re very welcome!

Quick Reply

Latest