The Student Room Group

Southampton Vs QMUL for History and Politics

I am taking a year off and received unconditional offers from both schools to study History and Politics. To be honest I am not certain about what choice to make, it seems from reading various threads that Southampton might have a better reputation that QMUL when it comes to this degree. I was wondering if anyone has any insight about studying History or Politics at either uni and/or general experiences from life at either. Any input at this point would be helpful! Thanks!
Hi @Anonymous7610

I study PPE at the University of Southampton. Therefore, I can talk a bit about the politics department. As part of the politics component degree, you can choose to study both politics and international modules as part of your degree. The good thing about the politics department is that there is such a wide variety of modules to choose from allowing you to customise your degree to your interests. From second year, the majority of the modules you study are options you have chosen. You can find out more about the modules available in both the history and politics departments here

The politics component of your course is studied on the main campus (Highfield Campus). The History component will be studied on Avenue campus - the humanities campus (around a 10 minute walk). I study the Philosophy component of my course on Avenue Campus. It is very calm and quiet campus and I enjoy studying there.

Outside of the course, there are lots of opportunities including 200+ societies in many different areas such as sports, music, general interest as well as academic. You can find out more about what is on offer here.

I would recommend attending the offer holder days taking place in early 2024 to get a feel of the campus as well as the city. You should get an email explaining how to book on.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Best wishes,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE student
University of Southampton
Original post by Anonymous7610
I am taking a year off and received unconditional offers from both schools to study History and Politics. To be honest I am not certain about what choice to make, it seems from reading various threads that Southampton might have a better reputation that QMUL when it comes to this degree. I was wondering if anyone has any insight about studying History or Politics at either uni and/or general experiences from life at either. Any input at this point would be helpful! Thanks!

Where would you prefer to live?
Reply 3
Thanks for the input... London is a big draw for QMUL but also like the idea of being able to have London as an option from Southampton rather than a constant... So trying to use the degree as the deciding factor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending