The Student Room Group

English AQA A-level unseen poetry/prose

I have my English alevel exams soon n I'm still unsure about the unseen questions. I know how to structure my arguments but I'm not sure about time periods themes and how to incorporate AO3/AO4 into my answers
Reply 1
when u revise context (AO3) some common things u should look at are gender roles, any major historical events that might affect the public, religion & the effect it might have on public opinion, perceptions of issues addressed in the poem you're studying and also the life/personal or political opinions of the poet.

then you could apply those same things to the unseen poem (which is usually contemporary and comment on how opinions might have shifted)

AO4 is comparison between the 2 so if you have a point you want to make about 1, look at the other poem and see if there is anything that aligns with the point you're trying to make. if not, use that as an opportunity to contrast the 2 poems (eg. poem 1 suggests the primary role of women is to look after children, seen in 'this quote,' but poem 2 suggests that is not the case, seen in 'this quote.')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending