The Student Room Group

ADHD in veterinary medicine

Are there any students who study veterinary medicine who have ADHD? Will an application for veterinary medicine be revoked if you have ADHD?
Absolutely not. No student studying any course will be thrown off of it for a condition such as that nor would they be declined from from applying solely because of that.

There will be people working in virtually any profession you can name and living with an ADHD diagnosis.
There are so many people with ADHD I know personally on the course, so you're fine 🙂
Reply 3
Original post by ErasistratusV
Absolutely not. No student studying any course will be thrown off of it for a condition such as that nor would they be declined from from applying solely because of that.

There will be people working in virtually any profession you can name and living with an ADHD diagnosis.

Ah that's relieving to hear! Thank you very much.
Reply 4
Original post by RambleAmple
There are so many people with ADHD I know personally on the course, so you're fine 🙂

Great, there's nothing to worry about now 🙂 Thank you very much
Reply 5
Original post by Jannet2ester
Are there any students who study veterinary medicine who have ADHD? Will an application for veterinary medicine be revoked if you have ADHD?

I have ADHD and met lots of vets during work experience who have it. I am beginning vet med this September
Reply 6
Original post by Belle7
I have ADHD and met lots of vets during work experience who have it. I am beginning vet med this September

Ahh right. Which vet school are you starting in if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Belle7

haha me too, I'm also starting in September too! I think the veterinary industry seems quite neurodiverse in general and I work in practice atm and my colleagues agree!
Reply 8
Ahh right. Which vet school are you starting in if you don't mind me asking?

I’ll be firming Liverpool - I’m very lucky that I’ve been accepted by my other choices as well, but Liverpool is where I’ll be heading.
So don’t be discouraged, I’ve got ADHD and have been accepted by all of my choices. I listed it on my UCAS and the only thing the unis have done is contact me to provide more info about it and how they can help.
Luckily, my ADHD does have quite a positive impact in interviews, as it makes me talk a lot, which is better than not saying anything at all - I’ve had to work a bit at not rambling on, but to be honest, the unis like to see you talk through your thought process anyway. My ADHD makes me very good at talking to people, and I do believe ADHD actually helped me in interviews as I was confident throughout it and knew I would have no issues with any of the stations in which you are discussing something with someone, or at least talking to them - I think as long as you can have somewhat organisation to your thoughts and how you speak them out loud, like I said, the unis like to see the thought process
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 9

Hi! I study vet med and I have diagnosed ADHD so it is possible. My uni has been really supportive and helpful to me as well so I wouldn't say it's an issue at all.
my adhd makes me feel ******ed

There are so so many students with ADHD. Most of my friends with it got diagnosed post acceptance but my best friend is autistic and was allowed on the course.
It would be completely illegal for any University (or an employer) to discriminate against someone with any particular health diagnosis unless it was something that could obviously put you or your patients/the public at risk. There are millions of neuro-diverse people in the workforce and I'd go so far to say that some of the medical/veterinary or similar fields probably attract neurodiverse people because of the detailed nature of the work.

In reality I would strongly suspect that the bulk of the population have some degree of neurodiversion and we just consider this part of who they are and it is completely normal.

I have friends studying veterinary medicine, I have friends who either own a practice themselves, work as veterinary surgeons or who have left the profession to do something else. They are all as unique as anyone else. Don't ever let any diagnosis put a pitfall in your path. When you win a place on your course, someone has put a big thumbs up on your application and thinks you will be a great addition to the profession. Don't ever forget that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending