The Student Room Group

Hooke's Law question

Is there anything in the question that I've missed which tells you if A is below B or A is above B on the slope?

The textbook solution assumes that B is below A and so the spring is in tension. Could it be the other way though and the answer would be the same?
Reply 1
Original post by 0-)

Is there anything in the question that I've missed which tells you if A is below B or A is above B on the slope?

The textbook solution assumes that B is below A and so the spring is in tension. Could it be the other way though and the answer would be the same?

If A were below B, wouldn't the ball (attached to B) just slide down the slope until its position is as described in the question, and A above B?
Reply 2
Original post by bl0bf1sh
If A were below B, wouldn't the ball (attached to B) just slide down the slope until its position is as described in the question, and A above B?

I was thinking it would compress the string?
Reply 3
Original post by 0-)
I was thinking it would compress the string?

A spring can be in compression, a string simply goes slack.
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
A spring can be in compression, a string simply goes slack.

Of course! I was stupidly thinking it was a spring.
Reply 5
Original post by bl0bf1sh

Of course you're right now I realise it's a string and not a spring. The words are too similar :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest