The Student Room Group

a level choices

out of curiosity, is it true that unis prefer if a 4th a level is not stem if you're doing all stem? one of my teachers keeps saying it, but I'm doubting that's true as why would the university care about unrelated subjects? I'm pretty set in my 4 stem subjects but it would be interesting to hear from actual students if there is any benefit to taking a non-stem subject.
Honestly, they wouldn’t really mind as long as long as you get the grades and have the subject requirements and I think a fourth A-level will make a massive difference because a lot of Unis don’t need it except in Dublin require four a levels, but other than that unis only really look at three. Good luck with everything.
Reply 2
ok thanks! dyk why oxford wants 4 a levels for materials science? it doesn't 'require' it but the subjects are recommended, for all other courses idt this is the case. here's the link https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/materials-science
Oh, this is a hard one I think they’ll be more focused on grades though or if you have had a science A-level/multiple. Do you think you’d be able to manage 4 a level? it’s quite a lot to commit to whilst having external commitments, but it depends you need to have a balance
Reply 4
Original post by ebyrne2036
Oh, this is a hard one I think they’ll be more focused on grades though or if you have had a science A-level/multiple. Do you think you’d be able to manage 4 a level? it’s quite a lot to commit to whilst having external commitments, but it depends you need to have a balance

yeah I think I can probably manage 4- a lot of people in my school do epq too, so I think I'll be fine. it's just annoying that they want those 4 a levels, I know that other unis exist too but it would probably give me a higher chance to go to them if I did 4 as well.

Quick Reply

Latest