The Student Room Group

2 STEM subjects at A level. can i apply to cambridge med?

in 2024 entry requirements and lots of cambridge college websites it’s stated you can take chemistry and ONE OTHER science/maths subject for medicine, but on the cambridge website for medicine it states you need chem and 2 other stem subjects. i study biology chemistry and english literature and have really good reasons as to why i chose english. have i got no chance in getting a place at cambridge medicine ?
Original post by evemcatlro123
in 2024 entry requirements and lots of cambridge college websites it’s stated you can take chemistry and ONE OTHER science/maths subject for medicine, but on the cambridge website for medicine it states you need chem and 2 other stem subjects. i study biology chemistry and english literature and have really good reasons as to why i chose english. have i got no chance in getting a place at cambridge medicine ?

Also i looked on the college websites of the colleges i want to apply to (queens, jesus and gonville and caius) and they all state to only need chem and 1 other stem subject, but the cambridge website is very misleading.
Reply 2
Yeah, currently doing med here and I know plenty of people who only have 2 STEM a-levels also doing med. No harm in applying anyway, but be prepared to justify your a-level choices in interview, or even touch on the relation of english and medicine in your PS.
Reply 3

You can apply, but in previous years, only a TINY percentage of people (as in about 0.1%) were successful with only 2 STEM subjects, for medicine.
Nowhere else will care and your subjects will be fine for any other uni

As above nothing is stopping you but more than likely it will be a wasted choice.

In previous years they noted on their website that only 2% of applicants had only 2 science/maths subjects at A-level, and only 2% of that 2% were successful. By comparison, of the 98% of those applying with 3 STEM subjects at A-level, it was around ~20% success rate.

Those with only 2 science/maths subjects were literally 10 times less likely to achieve competitive scores in the BMAT/interview at Cambridge to receive an offer.

So just apply to literally any other medical school.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending