The Student Room Group

N/A

N/A
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

University of Nottingham if you want a job...
Reply 2
Original post by josesh
Tried to combine entry standards (excluding Scottish ones), offer rates, national & international rankings amongst other things and feel good about giving my view on a hot topic here.

1. Cambridge & Oxford
3. Imperial
4. LSE
5. UCL
6. Edinburgh
7. St Andrews
8. Durham
9. Warwick
10. Bristol

HMs: Bath, Glasgow, Manchester & King’s

Why waste your time on this nonsense? What degree? Completely wrong if its Engineering ... or any design degree
Reply 3
which is why I stated in general. This isnt a perfect ranking. UAL colleges arent included neither are the best music or drama schools as its impossible to compare. This was a generalised ranking taking into account most unis and the stats that I think are the most useful in telling us the "prestige" and "reputation" of the main UK Unis as opposed to useless indicators like student satisfaction and teaching standards however that can be measured. Obviously this isnt for engineering, otherwise I would have stated for engineering or design. This would be a completely different ten for a lot of subjects but this was my best attempt at making a fairly broad ranking overall of UK unis and creating a top 10 in terms of prestige and reputation.
Original post by Muttley79
Submit replyWhy waste your time on this nonsense? What degree? Completely wrong if its Engineering ... or any design degree
Reply 4
Original post by josesh
which is why I stated in general. This isnt a perfect ranking. UAL colleges arent included neither are the best music or drama schools as its impossible to compare. This was a generalised ranking taking into account most unis and the stats that I think are the most useful in telling us the "prestige" and "reputation" of the main UK Unis as opposed to useless indicators like student satisfaction and teaching standards however that can be measured. Obviously this isnt for engineering, otherwise I would have stated for engineering or design. This would be a completely different ten for a lot of subjects but this was my best attempt at making a fairly broad ranking overall of UK unis and creating a top 10 in terms of prestige and reputation.

It is a waste of time - no-one should choose a uni like this.

ALL league tables are flawed and can't be replicated.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
It is a waste of time - no-one should choose a uni like this.

ALL league tables are flawed and can't be replicated.

well yes. Hence why I have tried to create my own using the most useful stats on offer in my opinion. Im not telling anybody to choose their uni based on this 10? Obviously if you wanted to concentrate on China, SOAS is an option, obviously it depends on ur subject, location, course etc etc. Im not trying to advise anybody? Im merely giving my own input into a long debated topic on here idk why ur so bothered.
Reply 6
Original post by josesh
well yes. Hence why I have tried to create my own using the most useful stats on offer in my opinion. Im not telling anybody to choose their uni based on this 10? Obviously if you wanted to concentrate on China, SOAS is an option, obviously it depends on ur subject, location, course etc etc. Im not trying to advise anybody? Im merely giving my own input into a long debated topic on here idk why ur so bothered.

I'm 'bothered' because you have wasted precious time drawing up a useless list when you could have been doing something worthwhile.
Reply 7
I'm 'bothered' because you have wasted precious time drawing up a useless list when you could have been doing something worthwhile.

ok.
Original post by josesh
...useless indicators like student satisfaction and teaching standards...

:confused:

You and I have a different definition of "useless".
Pas cela encore waï
Not this again dang
:colonhash:

Also I'd remove King's from HMs for obvious reasons (the administration last year was apparently a disaster, don't see how you can be "top" if you can't even get this right. I'm not educational expert but there's nothing "top" about that (poor admin) in my opinion).

I personally don't care about rankings. Quality of education, personal experiences, placements (one I know uni is obsessed with this, it's pretty much their whole and main selling point), support is much more important in my opinion. Or if you're gonna look at rankings do it based on teaching quality or the individual course.
(edited 11 months ago)
Personally I feel that the top ten universities are:
1. London Met
2. London Met
3. London Met
4. London Met
5. London Met
6. London Met
7. London Met
8. London Met
9. London Met
10. London Met

Discuss.
Reply 11
Original post by DataVenia
:confused:

You and I have a different definition of "useless".

These are very important things. They are useless because they are not measured in an effective and cohesive manner. Obviously, both are incredibly important when choosing a university, I do deny this at all. I just don’t trust the way they are measured hence my point.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
1. London Met
2. London Met
3. London Met
4. London Met
5. London Met
6. London Met
7. London Met
8. London Met
9. London Met
10. London Met

Discuss.

Surely you're forgetting the preeminant institution of LearninTM that is the University of Bognor?
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
1. London Met
2. London Met
3. London Met
4. London Met
5. London Met
6. London Met
7. London Met
8. London Met
9. London Met
10. London Met

Discuss.

You forgot to add the university of Bedfordshire, LSBU, Greenwich, University of Cumbria and Ravensbourne University London.
Original post by josesh
These are very important things. They are useless because they are not measured in an effective and cohesive manner. Obviously, both are incredibly important when choosing a university, I do deny this at all. I just don’t trust the way they are measured hence my point.

I feel that you've identified a key issue with all league tables, including this one of your own. If characteristics which are "incredibly important when choosing a university" cannot be included in the ranking (because of the lack of accurate measurement) then what value does the league table have? It would be like trying to draw-up a table of the best football clubs in the country, but without access to games won or goals scored.
Reply 15
Original post by Realitysreflexx
University of Nottingham if you want a job...

As long as you manage not getting shot before graduation.
Reply 16
Original post by DataVenia
I feel that you've identified a key issue with all league tables, including this one of your own. If characteristics which are "incredibly important when choosing a university" cannot be included in the ranking (because of the lack of accurate measurement) then what value does the league table have? It would be like trying to draw-up a table of the best football clubs in the country, but without access to games won or goals scored.

I completely agree! This was mainly an attempt on my behalf at trying to come up with a very rough and broad guess of the top ten uk unis in terms of “reputation” and “prestige”. Is King’s better than York? In a lot of areas it isn’t. Is LSE a nicer place to study than Leeds? Probably not. This was me trying to come up with a rough estimate at “prestige” and “reputation” - two very surface level things for sure and not at all the only things to take into account when choosing a uni! But that was my intention with this if that makes sense.
Reply 17
Original post by josesh
Tried to combine entry standards (excluding Scottish ones), offer rates, national & international rankings amongst other things and feel good about giving my view on a hot topic here.

1. Cambridge & Oxford
3. Imperial
4. LSE
5. UCL
6. Edinburgh
7. St Andrews
8. Durham
9. Warwick
10. Bristol

HMs: Bath, Glasgow, Manchester & King’s

'Top' at what...?
Reply 18
Original post by Quady
'Top' at what...?

Like I’ve said in a few replies, this is for very surface level aspects like “reputation” and “prestige” which are overrated and almost impossible to measure. This isn’t a ranking of the best places to study or which has the best teaching, just a rough guess at prestige and reputation in general not specific subjects just as universities as a whole. I know it’s flawed, I’m not choosing a university based off this nor should anybody. But I saw it mentioned a lot and wanted to give my own input that’s all
Original post by josesh
Like I’ve said in a few replies, this is for very surface level aspects like “reputation” and “prestige” which are overrated and almost impossible to measure. This isn’t a ranking of the best places to study or which has the best teaching, just a rough guess at prestige and reputation in general not specific subjects just as universities as a whole. I know it’s flawed, I’m not choosing a university based off this nor should anybody. But I saw it mentioned a lot and wanted to give my own input that’s all

If you’re at this much of a loose end then I would recommend using https://doit.life/volunteer to find something more productive to do (which will also improve your own wellbeing and prospects too).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending