The Student Room Group

Revision Guide Rant

I'm just so frustrated with myself. I bought the CGP Psychology revision guide and have used it as the main focus of my revision for the last 2 years. Only to realise right before my exam that it leaves out key evaluation for the likes of Types of LTM and just generally lacks so much detail.

It's nobodies fault but my own, but I'm just so irritated that I've worked so hard for 2 years on remembering everything in that book to realise it's not gonna be enough when I actually do my exams.

I'd say it's bordering on misleading, given that literal sections of topics are missed out, but perhaps that's my own fault for not checking. Just got to try and make up as much as I can that I've missed now I guess.
I feel like CGP’s revision guides on the whole are brief which is annoying as they do tend to miss out key information sometimes. My advice (although perhaps too late for you, but may help others) is to use the revision guide alongside the actual textbook. Revision guides are good for condensed knowledge, but textbooks are where you’ll get the more in-depth knowledge. Therefore I find revision guides a good starting point in my revision, but along the way I do need to incorporate the textbook in order to get more rich information and add more sophistication to my exam answers.

I do agree with you that it is somewhat misleading though
Original post by Squiggles1238
I feel like CGP’s revision guides on the whole are brief which is annoying as they do tend to miss out key information sometimes. My advice (although perhaps too late for you, but may help others) is to use the revision guide alongside the actual textbook. Revision guides are good for condensed knowledge, but textbooks are where you’ll get the more in-depth knowledge. Therefore I find revision guides a good starting point in my revision, but along the way I do need to incorporate the textbook in order to get more rich information and add more sophistication to my exam answers.

I do agree with you that it is somewhat misleading though

Yeah, I agree 100%. I'll be honest, I thought they were the same thing. It's only been since I'm looking through other people talking about the revision guides/textbooks that they're 2 different concepts, which is slightly embarrassing.

Just trying my best to learn the other bits that I need to know from other sources now lol.
Original post by AnotherStudent!
Yeah, I agree 100%. I'll be honest, I thought they were the same thing. It's only been since I'm looking through other people talking about the revision guides/textbooks that they're 2 different concepts, which is slightly embarrassing.

Just trying my best to learn the other bits that I need to know from other sources now lol.

There’s no need to be embarrassed! To be honest, I’m surprised your teachers didn’t tell you this, as it’s usually the case that they say not to rely on revision guides as your only source of information

I did psychology last year, so I can say to just get the main studies down, and then get a couple studies for eval for each topic, you can only do what you can do at this point, so don’t worry!
Original post by Squiggles1238
There’s no need to be embarrassed! To be honest, I’m surprised your teachers didn’t tell you this, as it’s usually the case that they say not to rely on revision guides as your only source of information

I did psychology last year, so I can say to just get the main studies down, and then get a couple studies for eval for each topic, you can only do what you can do at this point, so don’t worry!

At the very least I think I've got a fair few studies down. I just need to try and get some good detail in.

Quick Reply

Latest