The Student Room Group

If you failed one subject at AS would you drop out of A Levels altogether?

Title
Need a little bit more context here.
Not many schools make you take an AS exam anymore and instead make you do a 2 year linear course. Some people take AS exams for the qualification with no plan to do at A2 level.
You're better off asking your school or emailing your teachers as it can vary.
Reply 2
I failed my AS Spanish, took up biology in its place now happily graduated with a masters in cancer research
Reply 3
Original post by Carrotsroom
Need a little bit more context here.
Not many schools make you take an AS exam anymore and instead make you do a 2 year linear course. Some people take AS exams for the qualification with no plan to do at A2 level.
You're better off asking your school or emailing your teachers as it can vary.

I mean like say you failed the AS exam designed by the exam board and that goes on UCAS for one of your subjects would you drop out of A Level altogether (or the other scenario, you failed an internal exam designed by your teachers would you drop that subject or drop out of A Level altogether?)
Original post by Anony345533
I mean like say you failed the AS exam designed by the exam board and that goes on UCAS for one of your subjects would you drop out of A Level altogether (or the other scenario, you failed an internal exam designed by your teachers would you drop that subject or drop out of A Level altogether?)

It will depend on what your school will let you do. If it was an exam by the exam board, usually your AS exam wouldnt even matter as you would just upload your A2 grade. AS is literally just half a year of an A level so it wouldnt be of any significance if you sat the A level exam at the end of your second year.
Your AS exam only matters if you don't carry onto the second year of the course, keep in mind some unis don't accept AS.
Usually with internal exams, or a mock exam in other words that aren't released to the exam board, they carry little significance. You'll usually sit these exams because your teachers will use them for your predictions when you apply to uni.
I'm aware that in wales that you would need to resit the year if you failed, but in England the majority of cases you just continue onto your second year.

Quick Reply

Latest