The Student Room Group

Doing a new A-Level in year 13

I’m in year 12 atm. Does anyone know if it’s possible (provided my sixth form agrees) to drop one of my A levels, start a new one in a year 12 class when I’m in year 13 and finish it the year after that? But still carry on with my other two as normal.
Would it then be possible to take a gap year after that to avoid the applying to uni issue?
Please let me know if anyone has done this or if you think it would be easier just restarting year 12 (I don’t want to do this because I do not need to restart the other two subjects but will if there is no other option)
Thanks!!
Original post by Kncrane
I’m in year 12 atm. Does anyone know if it’s possible (provided my sixth form agrees) to drop one of my A levels, start a new one in a year 12 class when I’m in year 13 and finish it the year after that? But still carry on with my other two as normal.
Would it then be possible to take a gap year after that to avoid the applying to uni issue?
Please let me know if anyone has done this or if you think it would be easier just restarting year 12 (I don’t want to do this because I do not need to restart the other two subjects but will if there is no other option)
Thanks!!

I have seen people done it.

I haven't completed a whole A Level after dropping a subject before, but I have done another AS on top of the A Levels.

Just out of interest, what is the specific subject you want to do and what are you dropping.
There is often a myriad of reasons to drop a subject and take up another one, but I wouldn't do it unless it's a required subject or your grades in the subject that you have dropped are so bad that taking on a new subject would prove a dramatic improvement.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000

I haven't completed a whole A Level after dropping a subject before, but I have done another AS on top of the A Levels.

Just out of interest, what is the specific subject you want to do and what are you dropping.
There is often a myriad of reasons to drop a subject and take up another one, but I wouldn't do it unless it's a required subject or your grades in the subject that you have dropped are so bad that taking on a new subject would prove a dramatic improvement.

I want to drop art for physics. I did physics for a little while at the beginning of Y12 but then moved schools who were on a different exam board, so I changed to art and core maths.

From what I’ve seen on here it’s inadvisable as physics is considered very hard, and harder without maths AL, but I am willing to work hard especially if I have a year after to focus solely on it.
So really I don’t need it for anything I just want to do it because I love the subject and want to widen my knowledge of it past GCSE.

How did you find doing that AS level?
Thanks for your reply (:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Kncrane
I want to drop art for physics. I did physics for a little while at the beginning of Y12 but then moved schools who were on a different exam board, so I changed to art and core maths.

From what I’ve seen on here it’s inadvisable as physics is considered very hard, and harder without maths AL, but I am willing to work hard especially if I have a year after to focus solely on it.
So really I don’t need it for anything I just want to do it because I love the subject and want to widen my knowledge of it past GCSE.

Thanks for your reply (:

///
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000

Okay, doing some more research and seeing that I may be disadvantaged when applying to unis when I have been in sixth form for three years (I want to go into law which is already competitive) so I think the answer may be doing physics in my gap year as it is only out of interest. It will mean I have to pay for practicals and exams etc but will also keep me busy and getting me an extra qualification. What do you think?
Original post by Kncrane

Thanks for your reply (:

It was pretty straightforward. It was in a relatively easy subject (Psychology), so it wasn't mindnumbingly difficult.
Prior to that, I was doing 4 subjects anyway, so dropping one and picking up another one didn't affected my plans.
Original post by Kncrane
Okay, doing some more research and seeing that I may be disadvantaged when applying to unis when I have been in sixth form for three years (I want to go into law which is already competitive) so I think the answer may be doing physics in my gap year as it is only out of interest. It will mean I have to pay for practicals and exams etc but will also keep me busy and getting me an extra qualification. What do you think?

In which case, I don't know what to advise. Meeting entry requirements is one thing, but I won't know how the admission team will judge your application - it's after all about who you convince on the other end of the table and less about what you can quantify.

I'm personally going to do physics (and possibly 2 other A Levels on top), so I know it's going to get expensive and will be a complete pain to do. However, my reasons are that they're more or less required subjects for the compeitive courses that I want to apply for.

Doing physics during your gap year is a possibility, but if you are going to use the A Level for grade requirements, then I would question the value of doing it altogether (there are significantly cheaper alternatives than a science A Level during a gap year). If you are doing it purely for interest, there's no harm to just pick up a textbook and read about it.
If money isn't a problem, then by all means. It's not going to be particularly easy from what I have heard (I did A Level Maths, so I don't know how difficult it will be in relation to what I have already accomplished), but if you're strongly passionate about it then I don't think it would be too much of a problem.
Original post by Kncrane
Thanks!!

Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University. I would suggest you start by talking to your sixth form about everything because you don't want to spend time planning just for them to disagree with you. Plus, they may have had similar situations before so might have a better understanding of your options. A lot of universities do tend to understand gap years and do approve of you spending it productively but it is down to the university. However, there is no harm in contacting different unis and asking their opinion of the subject.

Just out of interest what course do you want to study at university and will changing A Levels actually help with the application or is it just for interest?

Please feel free to ask me any questions you have.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest