The Student Room Group

What should I do?

I am overwhelmed. I just received an offer for an apprenticeship for graphic design and I'm not sure if I should accept it or go to university. Regarding uni I didn't apply for graphic design I applied for architecture. I also applied for architecture apprenticeships but haven't heard anything yet. My offers are from Cambridge (which I don't really wanna go to), Bath, GSA and Strathclyde. Any advice helps!
Reply 1
Original post by Andi.0k
I am overwhelmed. I just received an offer for an apprenticeship for graphic design and I'm not sure if I should accept it or go to university. Regarding uni I didn't apply for graphic design I applied for architecture. I also applied for architecture apprenticeships but haven't heard anything yet. My offers are from Cambridge (which I don't really wanna go to), Bath, GSA and Strathclyde. Any advice helps!

if your certain on doing graphic design go for it. I would really recommend it only if you also get a degree on the side cus its really good to fall back on with the work experience.

you still have alot of time to decide. the architecture degree yes you will have debt but you will also be open to way more oppurtunities and on the side you can pursue graphic design at university and if anything you can always reapply for your apprenticeship if architecture isnt for you.

Also all of them are great unis so congrats and dayum cambridge go girl or boy or whatever you identify as : )))
Reply 2
Original post by HELPBISH
if your certain on doing graphic design go for it. I would really recommend it only if you also get a degree on the side cus its really good to fall back on with the work experience.

you still have alot of time to decide. the architecture degree yes you will have debt but you will also be open to way more oppurtunities and on the side you can pursue graphic design at university and if anything you can always reapply for your apprenticeship if architecture isnt for you.

Also all of them are great unis so congrats and dayum cambridge go girl or boy or whatever you identify as : )))

It is a degree apprenticeship so yes (4 years)

I was between graphic design and architecture at uni but architecture is "more respected" and I was told it pays better.

Thank you :-)
Original post by Andi.0k

Hey @Andi.0k :biggrin: Big congrats on your offers! You're in a really good position.

As someone's already mentioned - you still have time to think things through so weigh up the pros and cons. Is there a deadline for you to get back to your apprenticeship offer?

One of the big pros of the apprenticeship route is the real life work experience and getting to put your learning in to practice instantly. That's really valuable for lots of students and if you learn in a really hands on way then it's a brill option. You'll get your degree but you'll also get your experience and be able to develop your soft skills (communication, problem solving, etc) every day. It is however a different type of 'student' experience - so consider what your priorities are and think about your life in both of those scenarios :smile:

It also depends what you'd like to do as graphic design and architecture are different disciplines. Maybe it's worth exploring the different outcomes from each route ultimately? Do you know if the graphic design apprenticeship could lead relatively easily in to Architecture?

Come up with your own pros and cons list for each and see what one appeals to you most once you've weighed everything up! If you've any qs about the Strathclyde programme drop me a message and I'll do my best to help :five:

Good luck with your decision making!
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 4
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @Andi.0k :biggrin: Big congrats on your offers! You're in a really good position.

As someone's already mentioned - you still have time to think things through so weigh up the pros and cons. Is there a deadline for you to get back to your apprenticeship offer?

One of the big pros of the apprenticeship route is the real life work experience and getting to put your learning in to practice instantly. That's really valuable for lots of students and if you learn in a really hands on way then it's a brill option. You'll get your degree but you'll also get your experience and be able to develop your soft skills (communication, problem solving, etc) every day. It is however a different type of 'student' experience - so consider what your priorities are and think about your life in both of those scenarios :smile:

It also depends what you'd like to do as graphic design and architecture are different disciplines. Maybe it's worth exploring the different outcomes from each route ultimately? Do you know if the graphic design apprenticeship could lead relatively easily in to Architecture?

Come up with your own pros and cons list for each and see what one appeals to you most once you've weighed everything up! If you've any qs about the Strathclyde programme drop me a message and I'll do my best to help :five:

Good luck with your decision making!

The deadline is this week but I think I'm going to go to uni as there will be more options of career growth that way.

Do you know if it is possible to do work placement at Strathclyde I've seen conflicting information online? The uni website says yes but discover uni says no.

Thanks Caitlin :-)
Original post by Andi.0k
The deadline is this week but I think I'm going to go to uni as there will be more options of career growth that way.

Do you know if it is possible to do work placement at Strathclyde I've seen conflicting information online? The uni website says yes but discover uni says no.

Hi, please take the degree apprenticeship. You wont be in dept and will also earn on the side. Architecture doesnt pay that much if im being honest and from uni you will be in a ton of dept which you will end up not even being able to repay due to the interest. My best advise is take the degree apprenticeship, complete it and then afterwards you could stay in graphics if you enjoyed it or if you didnt then you could get a job in architecture.

If your worried about missing out on "uni" life then idk what to say lol
Original post by Andi.0k

Hello @Andi.0k :biggrin: The department encourages students to undertake a work placement after finishing their third year so often students will do so. It's not necessarily compulsory but is recommended and the department have great links with industry to help with finding placements. They'll take a year out to gain professional work experience and then return to finish their final year of studies. Students will sometimes stay closer to home but also some will go abroad to do this so there's a range of opportunities :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending