The Student Room Group

ocr english lit a level

hello! Can anyone help me who is likely to get A-A* in this a level?

I've been struggling with this a level but I don't really know why. I haven't been doing badly in the subject and I've gotten pretty good marks. But obviously the grade boundaries are incredibly high and I'm so scared for next week.

Can someone suggest what they do to get A grade? I'm predicted a C atm and would literally adore to get a B or above (especially since my coursework didn't go the best way :/ )

THANK YOU!!
Reply 1
Original post by onlinegyaah

I've been struggling with this a level but I don't really know why. I haven't been doing badly in the subject and I've gotten pretty good marks. But obviously the grade boundaries are incredibly high and I'm so scared for next week.

Can someone suggest what they do to get A grade? I'm predicted a C atm and would literally adore to get a B or above (especially since my coursework didn't go the best way :/ )

THANK YOU!!

So I've been predicted for an A*, but I really messed up my mocks and got a B, but I'm still predicted an A*.
The way I've been revising is just using Quizlet, sorting out different themes and then listing the quotes, critics and contexts underneath it. It'll help to revise with a group of friends if you like, to plan different essay questions together so you can consolidate different ideas (if ur the active learning type).
Best if you can plan and write essays in timed condition, if you haven't already been doing that, and give them to your teacher to mark. I find it helpful if I spend around 10-15 minutes to plan for the Comparison essays so I have a clear idea of what to write later, which can really speed things up.

Are you doing Hamlet, Ibsen & Rossetti next week as well? Remember the exam objectives for each essay you write.
Hamlet Part A (AO1, AO2): remember to contexualise the extract for part a, so point out why it's important and it's significance to the play. Then just pick out 2-3 main points to write about from the extract, e.g. themes such as acting or corruption / strings of languages. Then anaylse them to your heart's content, but be careful of the time.

Hamlet Part B (AO1, AO5): I usually structure this essay as Intro, 3 body paragraphs, Conclusion, with the 3 main points being something like Yes, Yes, No / Yes, No, Maybe as the question usually asks to what extent you agree or consider the importance of something. Always state your opinion with critics and support and disagree with them using quotes as evidence.

I&R (AO1, AO3, AO4, AO5): This one's the most difficult personally, as I'm not as good with comparing texts. But I start off with a brief intro of my main points and a short comparison between the 2 texts. Then the 3 body paragraphs, remember to have a clear topic sentence that states the differences or similarities, then start elaborating on one of the texts about your point. You can use words such as 'On the other hand', or 'But while', or 'However' to show that you're comparing the texts against each other, which gives you marks for AO4. Similar to Hamlet (B), state your opinion on critics (AO5) and remember to write about context (AO3) as it is a large part of the marks for this essay.

Hope this helps a bit, as I'm also really stressed about English next week.
Reply 2
Original post by EleaB
So I've been predicted for an A*, but I really messed up my mocks and got a B, but I'm still predicted an A*.
The way I've been revising is just using Quizlet, sorting out different themes and then listing the quotes, critics and contexts underneath it. It'll help to revise with a group of friends if you like, to plan different essay questions together so you can consolidate different ideas (if ur the active learning type).
Best if you can plan and write essays in timed condition, if you haven't already been doing that, and give them to your teacher to mark. I find it helpful if I spend around 10-15 minutes to plan for the Comparison essays so I have a clear idea of what to write later, which can really speed things up.

Are you doing Hamlet, Ibsen & Rossetti next week as well? Remember the exam objectives for each essay you write.
Hamlet Part A (AO1, AO2): remember to contexualise the extract for part a, so point out why it's important and it's significance to the play. Then just pick out 2-3 main points to write about from the extract, e.g. themes such as acting or corruption / strings of languages. Then anaylse them to your heart's content, but be careful of the time.

Hamlet Part B (AO1, AO5): I usually structure this essay as Intro, 3 body paragraphs, Conclusion, with the 3 main points being something like Yes, Yes, No / Yes, No, Maybe as the question usually asks to what extent you agree or consider the importance of something. Always state your opinion with critics and support and disagree with them using quotes as evidence.

I&R (AO1, AO3, AO4, AO5): This one's the most difficult personally, as I'm not as good with comparing texts. But I start off with a brief intro of my main points and a short comparison between the 2 texts. Then the 3 body paragraphs, remember to have a clear topic sentence that states the differences or similarities, then start elaborating on one of the texts about your point. You can use words such as 'On the other hand', or 'But while', or 'However' to show that you're comparing the texts against each other, which gives you marks for AO4. Similar to Hamlet (B), state your opinion on critics (AO5) and remember to write about context (AO3) as it is a large part of the marks for this essay.

Hope this helps a bit, as I'm also really stressed about English next week.

omg thank you sm for your reply! I genuinely think I'm so delusional with this exam because I always say that I'm going to do well until my teachers give me a bad grade. But even looking at the 2019 exemplar answers, I still convince myself that my teachers just mark me harshly :/

I did want to ask about Hamlet. I like to believe that it's my strongest section since I usually get 11/15 and above (even though that is a B????) and I just wanted to ask whether you think it's best to just stick to heavy analysis and only briefly make references to shakespeare's intentions and what nots.

I hope you do well next week!! Hopefully the grade boundaries will be like 2022 :,) trying to keep an optimistic mindset
Reply 3
omg thank you sm for your reply! I genuinely think I'm so delusional with this exam because I always say that I'm going to do well until my teachers give me a bad grade. But even looking at the 2019 exemplar answers, I still convince myself that my teachers just mark me harshly :/

I did want to ask about Hamlet. I like to believe that it's my strongest section since I usually get 11/15 and above (even though that is a B????) and I just wanted to ask whether you think it's best to just stick to heavy analysis and only briefly make references to shakespeare's intentions and what nots.

I hope you do well next week!! Hopefully the grade boundaries will be like 2022 :,) trying to keep an optimistic mindset

If you are aiming for a B, I think 11/15 is a pretty good score. Keep this up!
Not sure if you're talking about Part A or Part B but,
Personally when I write a Part A (Unseen extract), I go into in-depth analysis as you suggested as AO2 does take up 75% of the total mark. I would suggest that you look up the different exam objectives to make sure you know what exactly you need to have in your essay to achieve that Level 5 score. Do make references to Shakespeare's intentions as an elaboration to your points as I think that shows your understanding of the passage.
Reply 4

THANK YOU!!

Maybe try this thread instead.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7345889&page=3

Quick Reply

Latest