The Student Room Group

Does coming off anti-psychotics completely mean you don't have the condition anymore?

I've been gradually reducing my dosage under the instruction of my psychiatrist since January this year. When I see her at the end of the month, I'll be completely free of medication. Does that mean I don't have psychosis anymore? A bit concerned how it would affect my benefits (PIP).
Reply 1
It’s possible to go into remission of mental illness usually 5 years of no need for medical intervention or psychosis but there is always a chance of it returning possibly your doctors fee your coping well enough to come off medication just be sure to see any warning signs in case symptoms recur. Regarding to pip it’s difficult to say if it will effect benefits depending on what the diagnosis is really if it still effects your day to day living with or without medication shouldn’t change. Remember medication helps you get through the worst of it doesn’t mean the diagnosis has changed. Good luck and hopefully the psychosis won’t return
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
It’s possible to go into remission of mental illness usually 5 years of no need for medical intervention or psychosis but there is always a chance of it returning possibly your doctors fee your coping well enough to come off medication just be sure to see any warning signs in case symptoms recur. Regarding to pip it’s difficult to say if it will effect benefits depending on what the diagnosis is really if it still effects your day to day living with or without medication shouldn’t change. Remember medication helps you get through the worst of it doesn’t mean the diagnosis has changed. Good luck and hopefully the psychosis won’t return

I see. Hm...the only thing I think it affects me at the moment is tiredness and lack of motivation. But it's not like I get nothing done. I've managed to do my 10 hours a week of being a self-employed piano teacher. It's just if it were a full-time job, I wouldn't be capable, I'd get too stressed. I long for the day I can do a job full-time.

Quick Reply

Latest