The Student Room Group

Will going to Eton hurt my Oxford chances?

I've been thinking about applying for a scholarship at Eton for 6th form- I've attended state schools for primary and secondary. If I do go to Eton, will it hurt my Oxford chances? I've heard they're making a push for more students who attended state sixth forms to go to Oxford, so would I be better off staying at my current and fairly decent school?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Schools such as Eton will have extensive experience with preparing their students for interviews and admissions tests, so you'd probably have better chances there.
Original post by Silent Speaker
I've been thinking about applying for a scholarship at Eton for 6th form- I've attended state schools for primary and secondary. If I do go to Eton, will it hurt my Oxford chances? I've heard they're making a push for more students who attended state sixth forms to go to Oxford, so would I be better off staying at my current and fairly decent school?

You're right that Oxford are trying to lessen the advantage that privately educated students have in admissions. This doesn't mean that privately educated students are disadvantaged, but that going to Eton doesn't give you a significant and undeserved advantage in Oxford admissions, although it still might in practice. Also, Oxford do take into account your previous educational history and socioeconomic factors, not just the sixth form you apply from. In my experience, they actually care more about the school you did your GCSEs at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending