The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

bristol vs edinburgh cs

got offers for:
MEng Comp sci + electronics with a year abroad @bristol
BEng Comp sci @edinburgh

and I have no idea on which to choose, went to Edinburgh, was very cold and wet though they're significantly higher ranked than Bristol. But Bristol is 4 years for an integrated masters and Edinburgh is 4 years for a bachelors. Both seem like they'll cost the same to live at but i do prefer warmer weather and I know that Edin will be quite cold.
You could have done a 4-year master's at Edinburgh if you went for the direct entry option.

As it stands, look at the course content. I had a friend who did CS (+EE) at Bristol and disliked it, meanwhile I took CS at Edinburgh and loved *the course*. IIRC Edinburgh's course is more theory-heavy than Bristol's, and you have much more module choice at Edinburgh because of the way the course system is set out.

Edinburgh is big for AI, which is a hot topic right now, but who can say what the in thing will be after graduation?

Obviously they're both very good universities, and you're right that Edinburgh can be a cold and dreary place if you don't sign up to lots of societies and get outside a lot.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Meltboy7778
You could have done a 4-year master's at Edinburgh if you went for the direct entry option.

As it stands, look at the course content. I had a friend who did CS (+EE) at Bristol and disliked it, meanwhile I took CS at Edinburgh and loved *the course*. IIRC Edinburgh's course is more theory-heavy than Bristol's, and you have much more module choice at Edinburgh because of the way the course system is set out.

Edinburgh is big for AI, which is a hot topic right now, but who can say what the in thing will be after graduation?

Obviously they're both very good universities, and you're right that Edinburgh can be a cold and dreary place if you don't sign up to lots of societies and get outside a lot.

Tbf though the weather throughout England is rubbish a lot of the time just the difference between Edinburgh and Bristol is that Bristol has slightly less bad weather
Reply 3
What did he dislike about it?

Reply 4

Just wondering if you took direct entry to CS. I've just finished my first year of study on the 2nd year of and integrated masters in Mathematical Physics and it was horrendous, definitely would not reccommend to anybody. Is the direct entry for CS better laid out?
Original post by blaztroid
Just wondering if you took direct entry to CS. I've just finished my first year of study on the 2nd year of and integrated masters in Mathematical Physics and it was horrendous, definitely would not reccommend to anybody. Is the direct entry for CS better laid out?

Hahaha no, it's brutal. I think any STEM course's second-year entry is brutal, though.
you can’t take direct entry to 2nd year for the school of informatics
Original post by Anonymous #1
you can’t take direct entry to 2nd year for the school of informatics
Good riddance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending