The Student Room Group

Help with extenuating circumstances form

This will be quite long but I’m super anxious about this now so please bear with me.

So I’ve done myself over really, and I need to now apply for an extenuating circumstances (SAC) form for university. I received an email yesterday about the extension requests I put in not being accepted as they were retrospective ( I will explain later).

Context: I have been struggling with mental health (depressive episodes, anxiety, social anxiety, disordered eating) for the last two years, and especially this year. I also have performance anxiety and an extreme fear of failure so I tend to self-sabotage by procrastinating and I often get mind fog. I won’t get into the details here, but the last two years I’ve lost my social life & support system, minus my family and I was trying to rebuild my life this year at my university, but that has failed. I was living in college but failed to make friends/ social anxiety was constantly triggered and I struggled with not eating and depressive blips.

I’m now at home because I can’t cope living away as I have no support system and have been struggling now with a pretty bad baseline of mental health. During this period at university, I had to contact support staff/ head of year etc multiple times that I had to leave the city and go home due to struggling to cope. I received some support in the form of 9 therapy sessions through the uni, and then was given the option to get a disability support profile(?). This was so difficult to get though with having to track down links & speak to different people (which in the midst of experiencing depression and anxiety is not easy). A big thing for that too was having to go to the GP and get put back on meds (which I didn’t do) 1) because it’s near impossible to get even a phone appointment and 2) cause I’m scared of getting previous symptoms I had from meds before (nightmares, total numbness) and I was really bad at remembering to take them which then made me mental (withdrawals will mess you up).

So I don’t have a green note to support my application for my SAC form, which substantially weakens the chance of it getting accepted. The extension requests were denied as my childhood cat got really sick and nearly died and the vets were awful so I was so anxious about him I didn’t remember to submit the requests in time. It may seem silly to some reading, but I’m not a particularly stable person, don’t have any friends and this really messed with my head.

I guess I’m wondering what everyone’s thoughts are?
Thanks for reading

Quick Reply

Latest