The Student Room Group

Can I do a Masters degree at a University if I have done a degree apprenticeship?

Assuming my degree apprenticeship is in a related field, for example I do technology solutions (cybersecurity) and want to do a cyberpsychology masters degree, would universities let me if I have done a degree apprenticeship.

I have seen university pages stating a first class or strong upper second class honours is required, however I think that apprenticeships are graded P , M , D.

Has anyone else done a masters after their apprenticeship?
Original post by bxa_842
Assuming my degree apprenticeship is in a related field, for example I do technology solutions (cybersecurity) and want to do a cyberpsychology masters degree, would universities let me if I have done a degree apprenticeship.

I have seen university pages stating a first class or strong upper second class honours is required, however I think that apprenticeships are graded P , M , D.

If you are doing a Level 7 degree apprenticeship then you should be studying towards a university degree award that should allow you apply for a masters degree if you meet the admissions criteria. The apprenticeship itself may be separately graded but that does not relate to the degree itself. If you are not studying towards a university degree then your employer may not be complying with their obligations under the apprenticeship scheme rules and you should seek advice on this.
Reply 2
Original post by bxa_842

The competency portion of your degree apprenticeship (end point assessment) is graded P/M/D. The academic portion, typically a bachelors degree, is graded like the full time equivalent course, so 1:1/2:1/2:2 etc.

In short, yes. Your relevant work experience will also help your application. If you also gain proven experience in professional research during your apprenticeship, you could skip a masters degree and do a PhD. (From experience)

I published research as an BEng undergrad degree apprentice, was offered a PhD, but turned down to pursue an MBA and go into leadership instead of a more technical focussed role.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by bxa_842

A degree apprenticeship leaves you with the exact same qualification as normal students. As long as you meet all of the other eligibility criteria, you can apply for a masters after a degree apprenticeship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending