The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Confused about university

Good evening peeps,
So I am a year 13 student and am studying maths physics and computing and am currently predicted 3 A/A*s for my a levels. I’ve currently got a conditional offer at the university of Nottingham and it does look awesome but im debating either taking a gap year or just going with a different university at clearning. I live in Nottingham currently and I struggled with my mental health when I was younger so my parents are keen on making me stay at home, but I can’t help but feel I’m wasting some potential at Nottingham? I don’t know I’m stuck , I am an oxbridge reject and that did knock my confidence down a bit, is it worth trying to reapply? Going to clearing? Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thanks
Original post by Quantumcat123
Good evening peeps,
So I am a year 13 student and am studying maths physics and computing and am currently predicted 3 A/A*s for my a levels. I’ve currently got a conditional offer at the university of Nottingham and it does look awesome but im debating either taking a gap year or just going with a different university at clearning. I live in Nottingham currently and I struggled with my mental health when I was younger so my parents are keen on making me stay at home, but I can’t help but feel I’m wasting some potential at Nottingham? I don’t know I’m stuck , I am an oxbridge reject and that did knock my confidence down a bit, is it worth trying to reapply? Going to clearing? Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Don't be upset about the Oxford reject, plenty of people get rejected with fantastic grades.
As for clearing, your course might not go into clearing. Why do you want to reapply? Is Nottingham the only offer you have? Most importantly what do you want to do? Do you agree with your parents that you should stay local or do you want to move out?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
You re unlikely to get a place in a decent uni for computing via clearing. Worth taking a year out to figure out what you want. Your parents are concerned about your mental health - they have a point. Warwick is ranked 4th for computer science. Maybe a compromise your folks could live with? A year out means you can also try for Oxbridge again.
Reply 3
Good evening peeps,

Thanks

Are you planning to live in halls at Nottingham or live at home ?

Nottingham is a cracking University and, if you live in, you may find you're getting the best of both worlds: a great university experience, with the chance to meet lots of people, join societies etc; whilst still having the option to easily go home if/when you want.

Academically wise, it's also considered very highly by employers and usually is there/thereabouts in that list of 7/8 "target" universities that the investment banks/law firms/consultancies etc. consider.

However, fully appreciate it if what you want to do is go and experience living in a completely new town/city etc.

In terms of clearing options, obviously it's not possible to know if your chosen subject / universities will be in clearing yet. However, you could see if they are offering places in UCAS Extra - that might be an indicator if they still have spare places
Reply 4
Original post by spectrum84
Don't be upset about the Oxford reject, plenty of people get rejected with fantastic grades.
As for clearing, your course might not go into clearing. Why do you want to reapply? Is Nottingham the only offer you have? Most importantly what do you want to do? Do you agree with your parents that you should stay local or do you want to move out?

I have 3 other offers from uni of Sheffield, Loughborough uni and notts Trent- my parents are quite adamant on staying at home and to be honest I see their point I’m not sure if I will be well enough to move out; but if I take a year out I feel like I would have wasted a year? Realistically would probably get rejected from oxbridge again, I wanted to go for potentially imperial but last time my parents picked my uni cchoices and they would probably do the same. I don’t know my brains going mad!! I do really like uni of notts , and the option to study abroad second year seems tempting?
Reply 5
Original post by dunnott
Are you planning to live in halls at Nottingham or live at home ?

Nottingham is a cracking University and, if you live in, you may find you're getting the best of both worlds: a great university experience, with the chance to meet lots of people, join societies etc; whilst still having the option to easily go home if/when you want.

Academically wise, it's also considered very highly by employers and usually is there/thereabouts in that list of 7/8 "target" universities that the investment banks/law firms/consultancies etc. consider.

However, fully appreciate it if what you want to do is go and experience living in a completely new town/city etc.

In terms of clearing options, obviously it's not possible to know if your chosen subject / universities will be in clearing yet. However, you could see if they are offering places in UCAS Extra - that might be an indicator if they still have spare places

I’ll most likely be living at home next year, I’m not sure if I am well enough myself to cow with moving out- Ithanks for the encouragement of notts too- I might try to apply for a scholarship there or something,I do live very close to the uni so commenting won’t be too bad, I’m just having a bit of a last minute- oh wait what do I do?!?
Reply 6
Original post by mike23mike
You re unlikely to get a place in a decent uni for computing via clearing. Worth taking a year out to figure out what you want. Your parents are concerned about your mental health - they have a point. Warwick is ranked 4th for computer science. Maybe a compromise your folks could live with? A year out means you can also try for Oxbridge again.

Thanks for the advice, I probably won’t try oxbridge again, I just don’t want to feel like I’ve wasted a year - Warwick isn’t too far but my parents won’t really like that- and I do appreciate where my parents are coming from too! Notts is pretty good in terms of comp sci , just kinda last minute oh waits if you get what I mean?
I have 3 other offers from uni of Sheffield, Loughborough uni and notts Trent- my parents are quite adamant on staying at home and to be honest I see their point I’m not sure if I will be well enough to move out; but if I take a year out I feel like I would have wasted a year? Realistically would probably get rejected from oxbridge again, I wanted to go for potentially imperial but last time my parents picked my uni cchoices and they would probably do the same. I don’t know my brains going mad!! I do really like uni of notts , and the option to study abroad second year seems tempting?

Hi @Quantumcat123

Congrats on your offers!

It's great to hear you're considering studying at Loughborough!

I'm currently in my first year here and if you had any questions about the facilities or student life at Loughborough feel free to get in touch - I'd be happy to help :smile:

Jess

Lots of people take a year out. It doesn't have to be a waste, you can try getting a job, perhaps in the field you're applying for, or go travelling to another country. There are plenty of ways to make a gap year worthwhile!
You may get rejected from oxbridge or you may not, it's worth a chance if you really want to go there, perhaps also speak with your parents and explain why you want to go to Imperial :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending