The Student Room Group

bit worried about my predicteds

hi everyone, I'm in y12 and am near the end of my mocks (2 exams left!!). I'm really worried because I kind of freaked out in my maths exam and I think I made a lot of mistakes. and I literally had an internal breakdown in my history exam and my essay was awful. I've been doing ok all year (ove got working at grades of As in both) but I'm worried I've really screwed myself over with my mock performance and I won't be able to apply to top unis anymore. I was hoping to apply to oxbridge and I know they have early applications so I wouldn't be able to change my predicteds if they were low before the October deadline. my school doesn't really tend to "push up" grades and I'm worried. anyone got any advice/tips? also my other grades I think will be As I think they were ok. who knows how I did tho 😭
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by TallDuck32
hi everyone, I'm in y12 and am near the end of my mocks (2 exams left!!). I'm really worried because I kind of freaked out in my maths exam and I think I made a lot of mistakes. and I literally had an internal breakdown in my history exam and my essay was awful. I've been doing ok all year (ove got working at grades of As in both) but I'm worried I've really screwed myself over with my mock performance and I won't be able to apply to top unis anymore. I was hoping to apply to oxbridge and I know they have early applications so I wouldn't be able to change my predicteds if they were low before the October deadline. my school doesn't really tend to "push up" grades and I'm worried. anyone got any advice/tips? also my other grades I think will be As I think they were ok. who knows how I did tho 😭

Just relax… wait for your results and then decide what you want to do. It’s not the end of the world if you don’t get to go to an oxbridge uni, there are still plenty more good unis.

Depending on your results you can either resit the year if they are really low (note that oxbridge unis may not accept you, and some other unis

Or if your results are decent you may be able to apply to decent unis.

All I can say is relax

Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University. It's okay mistakes happen and stressing about what has already happened won't put you in a good mindset for your other exams. Wait and see your predictions and then consider your options. Your school may be willing to discuss your grades if they don't reflect your previous performance. If we consider the worse case scenario of you don't get offers from universities that you love but end up getting incredible grades there are options such as UCAS clearing or reapplying the year after but with your actual grades. That way you could still end up at a really good university. Also, Oxbridge is known for having a relatively large amount of pressure on its students and it is important to ask yourself if you are prepared for that because you don't want to be feeling this sort of stress regularly. I'm sure it will work out in the end and good luck with your other exams! Please feel free to ask me any questions you have.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 3
Perhaps you are just not good at sitting exams. Writing an essay whilst listening to your favourite grooves and having nibbles on your desk at home is very different from having to perform at your peak on a particular day at a particular time - some people find it hard to simply switch it on under exam conditions.
Reply 4
I'd echo what others have mentioned in regard to this situation. First of all, I would try to stress as little as possible. I myself applied to Cambridge University and did not get the best grades in several of my end of years at the end of Year 12. Unlike you, my teachers did tend to project 'progress' that I was able to deliver in the Upper Sixth, but it's still worth liaising with relevant teachers and members of staff to discuss your concerns if they are aware of your ambitions to submit an application for Oxbridge. Hopefully, your other exams have gone well in the interlude between the submission of this question and right now, but another useful lesson to take from this experience will definitely be learning to put aside the immediate fears and stresses from your exam performance to complete others to the best of your ability. You can always wonder if you could have done better, but controlling the controllable and focusing on what you can impact in the immediate future is the best way you can actively offset mistakes you might have made.

Over the summer, I'd again recommend not stressing, but working little and often on areas where you might have been less confident or slipped up in exams is advisable. It made a big difference for me in my Maths grades and the crunch of exam revisions and Oxbridge applications can hit hard at the start of Y13, so elevating that pressure should help you stay calm and composed. Finally, it's worth considering your options if things don't go the way you envisage. Clearing and reapplications through UCAS are possible and it might be the case that other Uni pathways become more palatable. Listen to those considerations because there's so much that goes into the Uni experience outside of academia. Not everything will go the way you planned, but the dream of going to a great uni and having a productive experience is by no means out of the question. Let me know if you want any more help!
Reply 5
Thanks a lot that's really kind and some helpful advice ... I'm just disappointed in myself bc I've never really ever been the type of person to not study enough and freak out/do really badly in exams and I knew what I needed to do but I'm not sure if I did it. my 'working at' grades for the year were A*AAA in March, so hopefully at worst they remain the same but it's been weighing on my mind. Honestly I don't know if it's because studying is difficult and me worrying about having failed my exams or a genuine dislike but I am getting really disillusioned with academia and studying as a whole - which is the worst considering i have a year of studying left in y13 and then a degree 😭. Can I ask what you applied for, where you were accepted, and more abiut your application experience (if you're OK with answering) ?
Reply 6
Thanks a lot that's really kind and some helpful advice ... I'm just disappointed in myself bc I've never really ever been the type of person to not study enough and freak out/do really badly in exams and I knew what I needed to do but I'm not sure if I did it. my 'working at' grades for the year were A*AAA in March, so hopefully at worst they remain the same but it's been weighing on my mind. Honestly I don't know if it's because studying is difficult and me worrying about having failed my exams or a genuine dislike but I am getting really disillusioned with academia and studying as a whole - which is the worst considering i have a year of studying left in y13 and then a degree 😭. Can I ask what you applied for, where you were accepted, and more abiut your application experience (if you're OK with answering) ?

Hi. I just wanted to check into see if you got your results back and if they weren’t what you expected you are aware of what you need to do to ensure you get the top grades.

If you don’t want to share your grades don’t be afraid to say no, or just don’t reply as I will not be offended by that.
Reply 7
Original post by 7899
Hi. I just wanted to check into see if you got your results back and if they weren’t what you expected you are aware of what you need to do to ensure you get the top grades.

If you don’t want to share your grades don’t be afraid to say no, or just don’t reply as I will not be offended by that.

Hi, thanks for checking in. Results: Maths - I got an A but the school never gave us the A* boundary (my score was 79%) .Then A, A and a high B in politics. In fact the history paper I thought I failed I did okay on, but I was confident in politics and I got a B for the first time since the very first test this year. Anyway I'm not thrilled with my results but they're not controllable anymore. I'm trying hard to do well on my next tests though. I think I've secured As in all of my subjects (I've been doing well in politics all year) but my dream course (HSPS, Cambridge) requires at least one A* and I am a bit worried because I haven't managed to secure that. Atm I'm just working hard and being patient in holding out for my results (reading my past posts of me being in hysterics lmao) because honestly it's all up in the air right now.
Reply 8
By the sounds of it, you’re a top achiever - getting A’s. Usually what a lot of teachers will do is give you an optimistic grade that you could achieve by next year instead of, what you are working at.

It’s just about being patient now and hoping for the best. Like I have said it’s not the the end of the world if you don’t go to oxbridge, there are plenty of good universities, which may not need an A*. If you are struggling to choose which uni to apply for speak to the sixth form team, form tutor, careers advisor, parents.

Hi, thanks for checking in. Results: Maths - I got an A but the school never gave us the A* boundary (my score was 79%) .Then A, A and a high B in politics. In fact the history paper I thought I failed I did okay on, but I was confident in politics and I got a B for the first time since the very first test this year. Anyway I'm not thrilled with my results but they're not controllable anymore. I'm trying hard to do well on my next tests though. I think I've secured As in all of my subjects (I've been doing well in politics all year) but my dream course (HSPS, Cambridge) requires at least one A* and I am a bit worried because I haven't managed to secure that. Atm I'm just working hard and being patient in holding out for my results (reading my past posts of me being in hysterics lmao) because honestly it's all up in the air right now.
Reply 9
Original post by 7899
By the sounds of it, you’re a top achiever - getting A’s. Usually what a lot of teachers will do is give you an optimistic grade that you could achieve by next year instead of, what you are working at.

It’s just about being patient now and hoping for the best. Like I have said it’s not the the end of the world if you don’t go to oxbridge, there are plenty of good universities, which may not need an A*. If you are struggling to choose which uni to apply for speak to the sixth form team, form tutor, careers advisor, parents.

Thanks that's kind. And you were absolutely right thank you!!! I was a bit more patient and I was shocked I got predicted A*A*A*A* !!!!! I'm very very pleased and thank you for your kind advice. I've been visiting different universities on open days and I have definitely grown to appreciate that cambridge is not the only uni out there. Honestly, I'm feeling a bit freaked out at the prospect of getting these very optimistic grades - part of me doesn't feel I can because there's just so much work and it's so hard 😫... anyways, year 12 is nearly over so I'm going to take some rest for now. xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending