The Student Room Group

year 10 - triple science, help needed!

i have mocks at end of the school year and i'm not really worried about my other subjects but i'm really stressed out for the triple sciences. I chose triple because I was doing good in year 9 for science but now my results in triple haven't been that good. Has anyone been in my position and found ways to overcome it and start getting better results in the sciences? My main issues are biology and physics, i'm doing quite good in chemistry. Can anyone give me some useful advice for mocks, i'm super worried about triple especially since i really want to achieve high grades and it's getting a little demotivating seeing everyone in my class do so well while i do so bad.
Reply 1
Go through every single past paper and the mark scheme you can find in depth, similar questions are super repetitive over the years.
Reply 2
Original post by milesf
Go through every single past paper and the mark scheme you can find in depth, similar questions are super repetitive over the years.

Thank you! I will
Reply 3
try here for chemistry https://www.science-revision.co.uk
sorry i dont have much for biology or physics
might help a bit
Reply 4
Use the actual spec, it does have alot of stuff that you dont realise and this will help you get the random questions that seem out of place
Reply 5
Original post by Scanjo63
try here for chemistry https://www.science-revision.co.uk
sorry i dont have much for biology or physics
might help a bit

aghh my mocks are only going to be on biology and physics
thanks for sharing this with me though! it'll be help in year 11!
Reply 6
Original post by HCWP
Use the actual spec, it does have alot of stuff that you dont realise and this will help you get the random questions that seem out of place

Hi, Thanks so much! I've always noticed this, especially in triple there are always so many random questions and questions i struggle to apply my knowledge to (i always wonder if we even learnt it or not) So this is really helpful, thank you
Reply 7
Original post by ctrlm.
i have mocks at end of the school year and i'm not really worried about my other subjects but i'm really stressed out for the triple sciences. I chose triple because I was doing good in year 9 for science but now my results in triple haven't been that good. Has anyone been in my position and found ways to overcome it and start getting better results in the sciences? My main issues are biology and physics, i'm doing quite good in chemistry. Can anyone give me some useful advice for mocks, i'm super worried about triple especially since i really want to achieve high grades and it's getting a little demotivating seeing everyone in my class do so well while i do so bad.

hi!! i am literally in the exact same position as you (i have an end of year chemistry test tomorrow agghh!!),
ive found that going through past papers, practice questions and freesciencelessons are all super helpful to boost and test your knowledge
good luck!!
Original post by ctrlm.

Don't feel discouraged if you aren't doing as well as you thought you would, all you need to do is just tweak your revision methods or change something to make the difference.
Here are my tips:
- Know the content! Go through a topic list/ your specifications and mark all the topics you feel intimidated/confused by, those topics will be your primary focus to tackle
- Watch a video explanation of each topic (you could use a textbook, but textbooks often put too much or too little info relevant to the specification), I recommend cognito and freesciencelessons for this.
- Know your equations! Physics is highly dependent on equations, compared to chem or bio, so make sure you know them as they could be easy marks!
- Know your PRACTICALS!! Practicals are questions that can easily come up in any exam as a 6 marker, so make sure you know them to secure those marks!
- Do practice questions - I recommend PMT and MME revise (MME revise actually had some questions that were used in my end of topic tests, so 100% worth the look)

I hope that helps and good luck with your exams! Your hard work and efforts will be worth it :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Don't feel discouraged if you aren't doing as well as you thought you would, all you need to do is just tweak your revision methods or change something to make the difference.
Here are my tips:
- Know the content! Go through a topic list/ your specifications and mark all the topics you feel intimidated/confused by, those topics will be your primary focus to tackle
- Watch a video explanation of each topic (you could use a textbook, but textbooks often put too much or too little info relevant to the specification), I recommend cognito and freesciencelessons for this.
- Know your equations! Physics is highly dependent on equations, compared to chem or bio, so make sure you know them as they could be easy marks!
- Know your PRACTICALS!! Practicals are questions that can easily come up in any exam as a 6 marker, so make sure you know them to secure those marks!
- Do practice questions - I recommend PMT and MME revise (MME revise actually had some questions that were used in my end of topic tests, so 100% worth the look)

I hope that helps and good luck with your exams! Your hard work and efforts will be worth it :smile:

Omg!! Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of this! All of your advice is so helpful and i'm going to make sure I take it into account and apply it, thanks for that message at the end and thanks so much for your help!
Reply 10
Original post by Tilda:)
hi!! i am literally in the exact same position as you (i have an end of year chemistry test tomorrow agghh!!),
ive found that going through past papers, practice questions and freesciencelessons are all super helpful to boost and test your knowledge
good luck!!

thanks for replying! i do a lot of practice questions and i'm going to try and do even more until mocks begin (also love freesciencelessons)
wishing you the best of luck for your chemistry test!! you're going to smash it and i really hope u do well
Reply 11
Original post by ctrlm.
thanks for replying! i do a lot of practice questions and i'm going to try and do even more until mocks begin (also love freesciencelessons)
wishing you the best of luck for your chemistry test!! you're going to smash it and i really hope u do well

heyy!!! thank you so much <3
Reply 12
Original post by ctrlm.

I've literally been in this situation, but I started revising more often and I ended up getting 9s in my mocks. It's like you know at the start what you're capable of, but you just don't know how to get there. First of all, forget everyone else, and focus on you, because this is your journey and nobody else's. People like to be over exaggerative about their revision, to make themselves feel better.
Before going through any past paper, get a list of all the topics and rag, even if a lot of the topics seem unfamiliar to you.
Prioritise the triple topics, since they are more likely to come up on the exam. If you want to start making any flashcards, notes, posters etc, I suggest you start now, as you'll have paper 1 mocks again in december. Keep a file folder for each science (EXTREMELY HELPFULL) so your notes aren't all over the place, and seperate each into different topics e.g atomic structure, quant etc.
In bio and phys a good percentage of the paper is maths so if you want easy marks go over unit conversions e.g MJ to J, and know how to draw a line of best fit and do calculations. It's also pretty easy marks getting to know the practical vocab e.g diff between precise and accuracy, and how to tell wheather an experiment is repeatable or reproducable.
But I suggest keeping a notebook, and each day make a checklist of everything you want to revise, it keeps you motivated knowing how much work you've done. I'm more than happy to reply to any other questions you may have!!
Reply 13
Original post by rysua
I've literally been in this situation, but I started revising more often and I ended up getting 9s in my mocks. It's like you know at the start what you're capable of, but you just don't know how to get there. First of all, forget everyone else, and focus on you, because this is your journey and nobody else's. People like to be over exaggerative about their revision, to make themselves feel better.
Before going through any past paper, get a list of all the topics and rag, even if a lot of the topics seem unfamiliar to you.
Prioritise the triple topics, since they are more likely to come up on the exam. If you want to start making any flashcards, notes, posters etc, I suggest you start now, as you'll have paper 1 mocks again in december. Keep a file folder for each science (EXTREMELY HELPFULL) so your notes aren't all over the place, and seperate each into different topics e.g atomic structure, quant etc.
In bio and phys a good percentage of the paper is maths so if you want easy marks go over unit conversions e.g MJ to J, and know how to draw a line of best fit and do calculations. It's also pretty easy marks getting to know the practical vocab e.g diff between precise and accuracy, and how to tell wheather an experiment is repeatable or reproducable.
But I suggest keeping a notebook, and each day make a checklist of everything you want to revise, it keeps you motivated knowing how much work you've done. I'm more than happy to reply to any other questions you may have!!

i'm so glad others have felt the same way because sometimes it really feels like it's just me, thanks so much for this advice - i do have one question tho, what did you do when it came to questions where you have to apply your knowledge (i struggle quite a bit with this) and was the consistency the main part that got you to a 9? thank you so much for replying
Reply 14
Original post by ctrlm.

Heya!
It's common to face challenges in specific subjects, and you're not alone in feeling stressed about your performance in triple sciences. To improve your results, focus on understanding the key concepts and topics that you find difficult. Set specific goals, create a study schedule, and practice with past papers to familiarise yourself with the exam format and improve your exam technique. Remember, consistent effort and a positive mindset can lead to significant improvements over time :h: If it helps, Study Mind has free resources that can help you out!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by ctrlm.

Hey sorry I'm only just seeing this so don't know if it'll help so much for ur mocks but at least for Y11. Don't worry if u don't feel ur doing particularly great at the moment and don't worry too much about ur mocks. Ur mock grades really aren't that important, just use them as an indication of where u need to improve. I did horribly in my Y10 mocks but I've just finished my actual GCSEs and predicted really high grades. U still have plenty of time!! I did triple science too so here are my tips:

- Use the specification for ur exam board. It will tell u exactly what u need to know, and u could also use it as like a checklist and go through and colour code everything (red, amber green) to see what u need to improve on more.
- Make notes/flashcards/mindmaps etc. Use a revision guide or notes u found online etc for this. Again u could also use the specification as like a checklist to make sure u cover everything and keep it as condensed as possible. Focus moreso on the topics u find harder
- Do plenty of past papers and past questions

Also here are some of the best revision resources I found:
- https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ - This is the absolute BEST thing u can use for science revision imo. They have flashcards, condensed notes and practice questions for all the topics. This was always my go-to resource when revising for science and is probably the main thing that helped me improve so much. I definitely recommend using it!!
- CGP revision guides, practice question booklets and flashcards (make sure u get the right one for ur exam board)
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize
- https://www.savemyexams.co.uk/gcse/
- https://www.youtube.com/c/freesciencelessons
- https://cognitoedu.org/home.html https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaGEe4KXZrjou9kQx6ezG2w
- Seneca

Again sorry idk if I'm a bit late seeing this but at least u have it for Y11 and I hope it's at least somewhat helpful. Good luck :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest