The Student Room Group

Is it okay to be late to work because of a panic attack.

Exactly the above. I catch bus to work. I struggle with the bus, sometimes I'm fine, sometimes it's manageable and cope through othertimees it's a real struggle. Today i had a massive panic attack literally straight after leaving house barely got out the door and had the panic attack, screaming and everything.
Got into work about 1.5 hours to a 4 hoyr shift. and the 'manager is aware 'it's because i had a bit of an anxiety episode. While they didn't say anything in response to it, I'm now feeling really guilty and like thats not acceptable reason. But at the same i do commend myself for going in!
I mean i leave in 2 months time fortunately or unfortunately.
I feel like I'm a failure and can't work etc but wait to be able to work and these are ongoing struggles battles i have.
You're not a failure. I know firsthand how debilitating panic attacks can be, and you managed to get through it. That takes strength.

That said, it does put your coworkers in a difficult position. Did you manage to let them know that you would be late coming in? If not, that may be something to bear in mind for the future if it happens again. Is it a regular occurance? If it is, then as you say, it may be good timing that you'll be leaving in two months' time - this may give you an opportunity to find strategies to manage your anxiety.

Do you see anyone concerning your mental health at all? I know NHS waiting times are appalling but it may be of some use to talk to someone if you don't already :smile:
Reply 2
Yes i had phoned /messagrd the manager i was going to late. As they didn't respond i then phoned up the main reception to leave it to them to pass the message the message on to the team.
However in the phone as i was in the midst i wasn't able to get words out easily so all i managed to get across was ill be late in.
I'd messaged the manager reason though when I'd calmed down a bit
Original post by Anonymous
Yes i had phoned /messagrd the manager i was going to late. As they didn't respond i then phoned up the main reception to leave it to them to pass the message the message on to the team.
However in the phone as i was in the midst i wasn't able to get words out easily so all i managed to get across was ill be late in.
I'd messaged the manager reason though when I'd calmed down a bit

Then it sounds like you did everything you could to let them know and minimise the impact. You should be proud of yourself for managing to go in afterwards :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by CriticalMuppet
Then it sounds like you did everything you could to let them know and minimise the impact. You should be proud of yourself for managing to go in afterwards :smile:

Hiya, thank you. Yes i am proud of myself that i went in after that massive episode. I have panic attacks sensory overloads a lot, and by far that was definitely one of the bigger ones. I'm having lots of mini ones though as well and that's making things at work harder. Today again had a mini episode whilst on bus had to get off and calm down then walked the rest so was about 15mins late again today. But remained very zoned off , almost had to keep taking myself away for 5mins then return backand shaky at work today.
In a way i don't want to leave in 2 months time but thats a different story - think essentially I'm not good enough for them and like in want to be able to leave on a positive note rather then just keep plodding through, struggling through.

Quick Reply

Latest