The Student Room Group

Self-conscious about Autism.

I was diagnosed with autism when I was 12 and although my parent are really good with it i feel like there are some elements they don't understand like stimming and because of this I'm hesitant to ask for some noise calling headphones to help with loud audio issues. I feel like they will say I don't need them and I feel like I am being dramatic as my brothers,both also diagnosed with autism, have not asked for such items. I also feel like I don't really need them but also feel like they will be beneficial especially as I'm moving to uni this September. Any advice?
Reply 1
I'm also self conscious about how ill look in them and all the attention they may draw.
You can only give it a try and see how it goes. University etc can have a noise involved. It depends what you're like with noises. Do only loud sudden noises get you or certain types of noises?
I have autism and personally i didn't find i coped particularly well with headphones or made a difference but that's me a lot of people with autism do find them helpful. With me i actually got noise cancelling headphones through DSA (disabled student allowance,). I went for like this assessment to check eligibility for DSA and thsts where they recommended everything like different software's etc and headphones and then it was all given to me.

With re parents your can only give it a try. It seems like they are generally understanding of the condition so your could say you're a bit concerned with dealing with noises and uni and wonder whether the headphones may help., you don't know yourself but would like to try it. But again if dsa give you headphones then you don't pay for it.
Reply 3
Depending on whether you can tolerate stuff in your ears, it might be worth looking into earplugs, they can be cheaper (depending on type) if you're not sure about how much you'd benefit and don't want to invest too much. They are also a lot more subtle if you feel self conscious about using them.

Quick Reply

Latest