The Student Room Group

Physics Degree

Im really confused on how physics works at university, do you need to study further maths and if my predicted grades for maths and physics arent A's is it impossible to pursue it?

Im not really keen on going to just any university in the UK, it sounds rlly picky but I dread the idea of going to a normal public university, and would rather take a gap year to reapply to better universities,

do good universities accept gap years or is it a bad idea to take one?
Reply 1
Original post by INeedHelp543
Im really confused on how physics works at university, do you need to study further maths and if my predicted grades for maths and physics arent A's is it impossible to pursue it?

Im not really keen on going to just any university in the UK, it sounds rlly picky but I dread the idea of going to a normal public university, and would rather take a gap year to reapply to better universities,

do good universities accept gap years or is it a bad idea to take one?

Universities do accept gap years, but many will want you to be able to prove you still did maths during your gap year - as maths needs to be practised else you forget it and you'll need maths for Physics.

You don't need to study further maths for any Physics degree (as far as I'm aware of) but some like Cambridge may like it as an A-Level.

Not sure what you mean by "Normal Public University", there isn't a distinction between universities other than some are in the Russell Group and some aren't (which isn't an accurate measure of how good they are). But assuming you mean "top-tier" universities such as Oxbridge, UCL, Durham, etc, yes you will likely need all As unless you can get a contextual offer - these universities are even more competitive than usual at the moment and have high entry requirements of A*AA - A*A*A, so really you need a predicted of A*AA (AAA bare minimum) to make a competitive application (again, this is assuming you don't qualify for a contextual offer).

Gap year's aren't a bad thing though, they're a good idea and unis will prefer actual grades to predictions which can help your application.

Quick Reply

Latest