The Student Room Group

physics or engineering?

I have currently applied to physics course, but I am considering to take a gap year to apply to higher uni. By the process, I am thinking to change my subject from physics to engineering as engineering seems more promising and highly payed when I look for jobs. What do you guys think about physics and engineering course when getting job? What kind of jobs do you think I can get when I take physics courses?
Hi,

Both physics and engineering are well-respected degrees that will give you a wide variety of skills desirable for jobs after university. Choosing engineering may give you a more direct route after university, but many people who study physics go on to work in the engineering sector. Personally, I'd recommend choosing the subject which you enjoy more, as you will be spending 3-4 years studying it and in my experience enjoying the subject can give you a lot of motivation.

In terms of jobs after a physics degree, you could end up working in a variety of sectors including engineering but also data analysis, renewable energy, finance, engineering, geophysics, AI, and medical physics. Many of these sectors have high paying jobs depending upon your level of experience. It's definitely worth having a look at various careers you're interested in and finding out what degree subjects/experience, if any they require. Prospects is a good website for this, and also gives salary estimates for various careers.

Hope this helps,
Becky (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending