The Student Room Group

english language OCR alevel

Can't see a forum for this lol so thought id just ask quickly - in the topical issue section do you HAVE to talk about specific theorists or will things like marked and unmarked terms be acceptable for AO2. I have ideas for most of the ones that could come up but I'm struggling to apply theorists for some of them. I know this is very short notice but thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by 67824930
Can't see a forum for this lol so thought id just ask quickly - in the topical issue section do you HAVE to talk about specific theorists or will things like marked and unmarked terms be acceptable for AO2. I have ideas for most of the ones that could come up but I'm struggling to apply theorists for some of them. I know this is very short notice but thanks in advance!

i was looking for a OCR eng lang forum the other day but couldn't find one!! how did u find paper 1?
Reply 2
how did you structure the topical issue? did you do presenter 1:, presenter 2: etc or did you just write it without listing presenters? also what did you write about for it?
Original post by fhrhfejndj
i was looking for a OCR eng lang forum the other day but couldn't find one!! how did u find paper 1?
Reply 3
i was looking for a ocr eng lang forum the other day but couldn't find one!! How did u find paper 1?

i hated it
Reply 4
Original post by tinkadele
how did you structure the topical issue? did you do presenter 1:, presenter 2: etc or did you just write it without listing presenters? also what did you write about for it?

I flopped that question - wrote it like an entertaining article rather than ‘critically debating’ radio show, also the only theories I talked about were descriptivism and prescriptivist which has nothing to do with it I’m so annoyed at myself
Reply 5
don’t worry about it! just look onwards and hopefully you’ll flourish in paper 2! i was rlly confused by it and almost didn’t put presenters but I still also feel like I could have done better, the fact it was a radio script was quite off putting. I also wrote about descriptivism and prescriptivism and I do think it’s relevant! I also mentioned how the queen used RP, spoke about Giles convergence and divergence and a bit of Aitchison. I’m sure you’ve done a lot better than you think & good luck for paper 2!
Reply 6
don’t worry about it! just look onwards and hopefully you’ll flourish in paper 2! i was rlly confused by it and almost didn’t put presenters but I still also feel like I could have done better, the fact it was a radio script was quite off putting. I also wrote about descriptivism and prescriptivism and I do think it’s relevant! I also mentioned how the queen used RP, spoke about Giles convergence and divergence and a bit of Aitchison. I’m sure you’ve done a lot better than you think & good luck for paper 2!

Thank you so much, I know I’ve done terribly but trying not to dwell on it. Do you have any advice for the language in the media question? I feel like we’ve done no practice on it and I always get confused about what to write
Reply 7
do u have insta? I can send you some of my work if you’d like?

Thank you so much, I know I’ve done terribly but trying not to dwell on it. Do you have any advice for the language in the media question? I feel like we’ve done no practice on it and I always get confused about what to write
Reply 8
do u have insta? I can send you some of my work if you’d like?

Thank you!! I’ll private message you
Reply 9

i didnt set it out like two people, i just wrote it in a 'normal' format but made referencing to it being a radio show and towards an audience. i phrased the topic as being a question from a listener and did it that way. i mainly focused on explaining the issue, gave reasons why it could be good, then talked about gender differences (overt/covert prestige), and then like concluded with how teachers using colloquial language and dialects could improve student engagement. i didnt touch on much theory overall, but i left it last because i saw 'script' and decided to focus on the other sections. what did you focus on?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 10
i hated it

i'm saving all my language hate up for paper 2, child language aquisition is the bane of my existence
Reply 11
i'm saving all my language hate up for paper 2, child language aquisition is the bane of my existence

Child language acquisition is the only one I feel okay about 😭 honestly topical issue is my worst I feel like I prepared so much for it too but I didn’t even know what Received Pronunciation was
Reply 12
that sounds cool! I’ve heard mixed opinions about putting presenters or writing it in an article format - everyone seems to have done different! I wrote about how the Queen downwardly converged from RP to sound more like a people’s person & linked it to how if even the queen wasn’t entirely devoted to RP why should students be? I also spoke about Giles convergence & divergence and how people can fluctuate between accents / dialects and how sticking to just RP would restrict our creativity. I think I mentioned Michael Rosen who said regional accents were like “gold dust” in the media / drama so then linked it back to how could it put young people at a disadvantage if the media are crying out for regional accents? I also spoke about prescriptivism, aitchison & a theorist called honey who spoke about standards of English slipping & how RP should be taught as a priority (she was the for side of the argument). I finished with saying how language is diverse and fluid & people shouldn’t have to be embarrassed of regional accents & should instead embrace them. Obviously this is all from the top of my head aha but those were my main points I can remember

i didnt set it out like two people, i just wrote it in a 'normal' format but made referencing to it being a radio show and towards an audience. i phrased the topic as being a question from a listener and did it that way. i mainly focused on explaining the issue, gave reasons why it could be good, then talked about gender differences (overt/covert prestige), and then like concluded with how teachers using colloquial language and dialects could improve student engagement. i didnt touch on much theory overall, but i left it last because i saw 'script' and decided to focus on the other sections. what did you focus on?
Reply 13
I hate CLA😭most people love it but I hate it

Child language acquisition is the only one I feel okay about 😭 honestly topical issue is my worst I feel like I prepared so much for it too but I didn’t even know what Received Pronunciation was
Reply 14

omg that sucks! ngl im so nervous for CLA i literally want to ignore it ,children make no sense to me i dont even want to talk to them until they can pronounce all the phonemes! for the others i feel like i can waffle a bit more but i just get completely baffled by CLA.
Reply 15
that sounds cool! I’ve heard mixed opinions about putting presenters or writing it in an article format - everyone seems to have done different! I wrote about how the Queen downwardly converged from RP to sound more like a people’s person & linked it to how if even the queen wasn’t entirely devoted to RP why should students be? I also spoke about Giles convergence & divergence and how people can fluctuate between accents / dialects and how sticking to just RP would restrict our creativity. I think I mentioned Michael Rosen who said regional accents were like “gold dust” in the media / drama so then linked it back to how could it put young people at a disadvantage if the media are crying out for regional accents? I also spoke about prescriptivism, aitchison & a theorist called honey who spoke about standards of English slipping & how RP should be taught as a priority (she was the for side of the argument). I finished with saying how language is diverse and fluid & people shouldn’t have to be embarrassed of regional accents & should instead embrace them. Obviously this is all from the top of my head aha but those were my main points I can remember

that literally sounds so good!! bet it's like full marks ngl, also so impressive that u can recall what u wrote i feel like my mind almost immediatly deletes it all haha
i feel like the script thing was a bit out of left field, but am assuming the actual content and like tone was overall more important than the structure so i feel like they wont hold it against us how we set it out, hopefully!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending