The Student Room Group

Do I need grade 9s (A**) in all my gccses to go to places like Oxford?

Hi I'm a yr 11 student and during these gcses I'm beginning to doubt whether ill get all 9s like I hoped. It seems more likely that its going to be between a 7 and 9 (A to A**) . Am I going to be okay?
Original post by AaAhAh
Hi I'm a yr 11 student and during these gcses I'm beginning to doubt whether ill get all 9s like I hoped. It seems more likely that its going to be between a 7 and 9 (A to A**) . Am I going to be okay?

This should depend on the exact mix of grades you get and which subject you are applying for.

No, you don’t need all 9’s. I got in (for chemistry) with 9988887766.

You should note that 8’s and 9’s are viewed as equivalent by Oxford. Also take into account that A level results/predictions, interviews, UCAS and entrance exams generally matter more than GCSE results when Oxford hands out offers.
(edited 11 months ago)

I don't think you need ALL 9s but make sure for the subjects that you going to be taking in A level you get 9s also it mainly depends on your A level as well!

Good Luck with Physic today!
Original post by AaAhAh

As others have said, GCSEs aren't that important in admissions. They're only used to compare your results to others from your school, to make the admissions process fairer for high achievers from underperforming schools. I'm studying History and Politics here, and I only got an 8 in history. 988777776B in total, with the 9 in a completely unrelated subject.
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd
This should depend on the exact mix of grades you get and which subject you are applying for.

No, you don’t need all 9’s. I got in (for chemistry) with 9988887766.

You should note that 8’s and 9’s are viewed as equivalent by Oxford. Also take into account that A level results/predictions, interviews, UCAS and entrance exams generally matter more than GCSE results when Oxford hands out offers.

Thank you:smile: that really makes me feel better
Reply 5
Original post by bus..........

I don't think you need ALL 9s but make sure for the subjects that you going to be taking in A level you get 9s also it mainly depends on your A level as well!

Good luck with Physic today!

Thanks! the physics paper went very well by the way :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by emilyalexandria
As others have said, GCSEs aren't that important in admissions. They're only used to compare your results to others from your school, to make the admissions process fairer for high achievers from underperforming schools. I'm studying History and Politics here, and I only got an 8 in history. 988777776B in total, with the 9 in a completely unrelated subject.

Thats so relieving to hear... THANK YOU :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending