The Student Room Group

Durham vs Edinburgh university for English lit

hello! I have offers from Durham and Edinburgh for English lit and have been struggling to decide which one to put as my firm choice as I really like both of them. I know Durham is better for the course in terms of league tables etc, but Edinburgh seems to have a higher international ranking. Also, I like the feel of Durham and the collegiate system but Edinburgh seems to have a more exciting city life. I have been kind of leaning towards Durham (it is also a shorter journey from home which I prefer) but wondered if anyone had any advice for choosing which to firm?
Reply 1
I was in a similar position to you! Albeit my course is MFL. I went for Durham in the end for the following reasons:

- Slightly better reputation nationally (though I appreciate Edinburgh is still up there)
- Collegiate system
- Distance from home, 3hrs vs 5-6hrs on the train
- Student satisfaction (Edinburgh ranks *very* low on this point, whereas Durham has better scores)
- Edinburgh has a specific problem with staff industrial action and seems to be one of the worst affected universities, Durham less so.

Durham also made me feel valued as a student and didn't take six months to respond to my application. They also responded to emails in a timely manner and weren't like Edinburgh who sent a grand total of *two* emails after applying whilst simultaneously ignoring my course queries -> though ALL of this is subjective and personal experience.

IMO, I'd go for Durham, especially since you've done well enough to get into their Eng Lit course, which is wildly competitive.
that's really helpful, thank you so much!
Original post by BarnabyK
I was in a similar position to you! Albeit my course is MFL. I went for Durham in the end for the following reasons:

- Slightly better reputation nationally (though I appreciate Edinburgh is still up there)
- Collegiate system
- Distance from home, 3hrs vs 5-6hrs on the train
- Student satisfaction (Edinburgh ranks *very* low on this point, whereas Durham has better scores)
- Edinburgh has a specific problem with staff industrial action and seems to be one of the worst affected universities, Durham less so.

Durham also made me feel valued as a student and didn't take six months to respond to my application. They also responded to emails in a timely manner and weren't like Edinburgh who sent a grand total of *two* emails after applying whilst simultaneously ignoring my course queries -> though ALL of this is subjective and personal experience.

IMO, I'd go for Durham, especially since you've done well enough to get into their Eng Lit course, which is wildly competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending