The Student Room Group

What should I pick for my fifth choice?

Hi, I’ve applied to English lit at Edinburgh, Durham, Notts and Newcastle and want a fifth option. I know I don’t need it but I want to. I’m thinking Bristol but know this is competitive, is it a bad idea to put Bristol when I know the likelihood of getting into my other top two is low?
Basically my question is: should I have Bristol as a fifth choice ( not really my fifth choice but you know) or go for another uni with lower entry requirements?
The entry requirements for Bristol are AAA.
My predicted is A*A*A.
any help would be appreciated, thanks!!
Original post by Octopus1
Hi, I’ve applied to English lit at Edinburgh, Durham, Notts and Newcastle and want a fifth option. I know I don’t need it but I want to. I’m thinking Bristol but know this is competitive, is it a bad idea to put Bristol when I know the likelihood of getting into my other top two is low?
Basically my question is: should I have Bristol as a fifth choice ( not really my fifth choice but you know) or go for another uni with lower entry requirements?
My predicted is A*A*A.

I would apply. There is a good chance of you getting an offer though considering you are 2 grades above their requiirement.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
My predicted is A*A*A.

I would apply. There is a good chance of you getting an offer though considering you are 2 grades above their requiirement.

Thanks so much that’s very reassuring!
Reply 3
My predicted is A*A*A.

Don't pick Bristol - accommodation issues are awful and some students are living miles away in Wales!

What about Exeter?
If you’re interested in a course with more variety then UEA is particularly strong in American studies and Creative Writing and there’s modules from both available on their English degrees.
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
My predicted is A*A*A.

Don't pick Bristol - accommodation issues are awful and some students are living miles away in Wales!

What about Exeter?

Oh dear that sounds terrible. I have thought about Exeter but at the open day I didn’t really feel it was for me
Reply 7
Really? I'm surprised given you're applying to Durham ....
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Really? I'm surprised given you're applying to Durham ....

Yeh I know they’re similar in people sense, but the course is outstanding I kinda just put it down for that as my very aspirational choice haha. I’m just not a fan of Exeter, plus it’s a popular choice for my school so I feel like I’d still be at school - if that makes sense
Reply 9
Yeh I know they’re similar in people sense, but the course is outstanding I kinda just put it down for that as my very aspirational choice haha. I’m just not a fan of Exeter, plus it’s a popular choice for my school so I feel like I’d still be at school - if that makes sense

Not really - lots go from my school but never see each other. Unless you are studying the same degree or in the same hall you'd not bump into someone.

Durham has the risk of sharing rooms and is known for messing people around re offers and decision on near-misses.
My predicted is A*A*A.

Hi there!
How about looking into University of Suffolk? Our English department is truly amazing and the programme is pretty unique. I'll put a link for the undergraduate programme right here: https://www.uos.ac.uk/study/ba-english/
Check it out and all the best with your applications!
Milena 🙂
MA Creative and Critical Writing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending