The Student Room Group

A level AQA biology Paper 3 (25 mark essay)

Hi
In the paper isn’t better to start with the essay or do the questions first then the essay last
Original post by Jjgbert
Hi
In the paper isn’t better to start with the essay or do the questions first then the essay last

I would not recommend starting with your essay for two reasons. Firstly, it's only 25 marks yet is meant to take far longer than half an hour to complete, so you might be inclined to take your time in which case you won't have time for the questions, or you might think you're being too slow, rush it, and end up going back to fix lots of mistakes or just leave out important A Level content and give yourself a low mark. Secondly, if you just read the titles before answering questions, the questions asked before the essay might prompt you to some points to write about later. So I would read titles, do the questions to allow your brain time to process the options, then when you get to the essay you have lots of ideas. You will also be able to manage your time better because you have a certain amount of time left in your exam, all of which can be spent on the essay which is better for planning imo :smile:
Original post by DanielK1456
I would not recommend starting with your essay for two reasons. Firstly, it's only 25 marks yet is meant to take far longer than half an hour to complete, so you might be inclined to take your time in which case you won't have time for the questions, or you might think you're being too slow, rush it, and end up going back to fix lots of mistakes or just leave out important A Level content and give yourself a low mark. Secondly, if you just read the titles before answering questions, the questions asked before the essay might prompt you to some points to write about later. So I would read titles, do the questions to allow your brain time to process the options, then when you get to the essay you have lots of ideas. You will also be able to manage your time better because you have a certain amount of time left in your exam, all of which can be spent on the essay which is better for planning imo :smile:

Completely agree with this - this is the guidance I give to my students too
Reply 3
Okay thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest