The Student Room Group

Post-study abroad depression or more?

I'm just about to finish my year of working abroad in Spain (I did this independently and not through uni - I'm 27) and I really do not want it to end. I love it here and I love the Spanish culture, language, people and pretty much everything. Back in February, it suddenly occurred to me that I could live here and now I'm not sure I could see myself living anywhere else. The idea of renting or buying in the UK just doesn't seem worth it to me. I prefer Spain so much more to the UK, it just feels safer and more relaxed. The weather definitely helps! It's made such a difference to my mental health. My issue now is that I don't know if I feel this way because I'm leaving or if I really want to live here. I have a bf back home (who would 100% not move here) which I think is the biggest reason why I wouldn't just jump straight into it. I just feel really unsure of a lot and am not sure what to do for the best!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm just about to finish my year of working abroad in Spain (I did this independently and not through uni - I'm 27) and I really do not want it to end. I love it here and I love the Spanish culture, language, people and pretty much everything. Back in February, it suddenly occurred to me that I could live here and now I'm not sure I could see myself living anywhere else. The idea of renting or buying in the UK just doesn't seem worth it to me. I prefer Spain so much more to the UK, it just feels safer and more relaxed. The weather definitely helps! It's made such a difference to my mental health. My issue now is that I don't know if I feel this way because I'm leaving or if I really want to live here. I have a bf back home (who would 100% not move here) which I think is the biggest reason why I wouldn't just jump straight into it. I just feel really unsure of a lot and am not sure what to do for the best!

I can relate to this somewhat. I did a teaching internship in China for 6 months and when I came back to the UK, I had terrible reverse culture shock and felt miserable. I ended up moving back to China to live and work and stayed there for 5 years. It's a tough change to move to a different country (or back to one!), so feeling a bit uncomfortable with it is not unusual. There may be opportunities to move away again if you did want to, so it could be worth looking into. For me, I only moved back to the UK for good once I had a career path in mind that I couldn't really follow in China. Having a purpose here made me feel much better about being here and I've been happy here since I came back in 2017.

Quick Reply

Latest