The Student Room Group

Doing a masters with a First but bad a levels

Hello everyone! I recently graduated from a mid university with a first class degree in computer science. I’m interested in doing a masters degree in computer science at a top university, and I’m going to work hard to prove that I’m good enough to do it, but I finished my a levels with DEE grades because I had severe depression. My question is, how much could my a levels play a part in whether I’m selected and how could I mitigate it. Cheers.
Masters degrees don't care about your A-levels
Reply 2
It's unlikely to have much, if any, impact. The university will be far more interested in your undergrad degree than your a-levels. However the application form should give you somewhere to mention any mitigating factors that affected your grades, which is obviously the space to explain why you got DEE. But as I said, a first class degree proves your capabilities, and if the rest of the application is good than you should be in with an excellent chance.
Reply 3
They won't care. I was in this position, too. My A Levels are diabolical and I did a PG course at Oxford.
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
They won't care. I was in this position, too. My A Levels are diabolical and I did a PG course at Oxford.

Hi, thanks for the reply. One question I’ve got is what university did you go to before Oxford? Cheers.
Just to confirm that most, if not all, unis won't care about level 3 quals. You'll be at least 3-4 years away from them by the time you do your Masters anyway.

(I work postgrad admissions)
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
Just to confirm that most, if not all, unis won't care about level 3 quals. You'll be at least 3-4 years away from them by the time you do your Masters anyway.

(I work postgrad admissions)

Thank you for the response, that’s reassuring.
Reply 7
Original post by Bigmanballs
Hi, thanks for the reply. One question I’ve got is what university did you go to before Oxford? Cheers.

A middling RG institution, although with a phil dept that punched way above the university's weight
Reply 8
Original post by gjd800
A middling RG institution, although with a phil dept that punched way above the university's weight

I didn’t get into an RG university with my A levels but I reckon I’d get into one if I could go back in time and do my a levels again. I don’t reckon I’m cut out for Oxford, but in a few years of studying mathematics and AI maybe there’s a chance, I don’t know, they may take a look at the uni that I attended and say no chance. Don’t know really, doing the best I can. Thanks for the reply.
Reply 9
I didn’t get into an RG university with my A levels but I reckon I’d get into one if I could go back in time and do my a levels again. I don’t reckon I’m cut out for Oxford, but in a few years of studying mathematics and AI maybe there’s a chance, I don’t know, they may take a look at the uni that I attended and say no chance. Don’t know really, doing the best I can. Thanks for the reply.

I got in in my mid 20s on a widening participation ticket, my A Levels are diabolical (I outright failed one). There's a lot goes into it, it is worth you thinking about it and trying for it, honestly.
Reply 10
Original post by gjd800
I got in in my mid 20s on a widening participation ticket, my A Levels are diabolical (I outright failed one). There's a lot goes into it, it is worth you thinking about it and trying for it, honestly.

That’s given me a lot to think about, thank you. I’m most concerned about the fact that, I’d imagine at Oxford you’ve got to be attentive at every moment of a lecture. I struggled to get through them with my attention span, although I think I can improve that. Also, I come from a northern, working class background. I feel that at Oxford, or at any top university really, I’m going to be out of place. The last thing that I want is to work hard, saving enough to do a masters and invest tens of thousands, to be mocked for how I speak. Do you think that it could be a problem? Cheers.
Reply 11
That’s given me a lot to think about, thank you. I’m most concerned about the fact that, I’d imagine at Oxford you’ve got to be attentive at every moment of a lecture. I struggled to get through them with my attention span, although I think I can improve that. Also, I come from a northern, working class background. I feel that at Oxford, or at any top university really, I’m going to be out of place. The last thing that I want is to work hard, saving enough to do a masters and invest tens of thousands, to be mocked for how I speak. Do you think that it could be a problem? Cheers.

I do understand those worries, really.

For what it's worth, I'm a Scouser who used to work on Garston docks. I only met one other Northerner in my College, but actually, the majority of people were great and everyone in the grad accom from the lads I lived with to the neighbours were all really cool people regardless of backgrounds.

The one snooty lad I had an actual issue with was a first year undergrad the better part of 20 years my junior, so for me it was a case of laughing at him and telling him to **** off.

It's worth considering is all I'm saying. Don't talk yourself out of it too hastily!
Reply 12
Original post by gjd800
I do understand those worries, really.

For what it's worth, I'm a Scouser who used to work on Garston docks. I only met one other Northerner in my College, but actually, the majority of people were great and everyone in the grad accom from the lads I lived with to the neighbours were all really cool people regardless of backgrounds.

The one snooty lad I had an actual issue with was a first year undergrad the better part of 20 years my junior, so for me it was a case of laughing at him and telling him to **** off.

It's worth considering is all I'm saying. Don't talk yourself out of it too hastily!

That is really encouraging to hear! I will say, the masters degree that I want to do is extra competitive given that the computer science school is small and there’s only 44 spots or so with 700+ applying. If I study hard enough though, I see no reason why I can’t compete. And aye I suppose if it’s only one snotty little nobhead every once in a while it won’t be so bad. I’m not scouse and you’ll know better than me, but I’d imagine scousers would get it worse than anyone else since a lot of people think it’s alright to **** off Liverpool. It’s really encouraging to hear that you had a very positive experience.

And I hate to ruin the vibe but I'm a manc and I support united 😂. Take care mate!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending