The Student Room Group

Doing a gap year before university

Would I be disadvantaged/ missing out if i chose to focus on getting good grades for next year and applied for university the year after , instead of attending uni in 2024 with the rest of my friends? If i did take a gap year, i may do a short work experience- a few weeks- abroad, but otherwise i would just get a job as a online tutor-depending on my grades-, volunteer in the health care sector for experience, learn a language or two and maybe write a book of some sort and publish it etc etc...but i dont know if univeristies would just think that tahst a waste of time, as it seems rather general.....but then i feel it may help mentally and financially---im just uncertain and teh biggest thing for me is i feel liek i odnt want to be leaving uni older than everyone and no one i know has chosen gap year---its not rlly done in my community.....any advise would be helpful
The question of whether or not to take a gap year is an old and common question many people face. I think the answer depends on the person, and just what you feel would be right. On the question of if you would be disadvantaged, I don't think this is the case. You can gain a lot from a gap year, like the things you've mentioned, and universities don't mind if you take a gap year either. If you manage to fill your time with something worthwhile, it can be beneficial to your applications to even top unis.

Quick Reply

Latest