The Student Room Group

My big 4 graduate scheme experience and why I left (AMA!)

Disclaimer: This post is entirely based on my own experience, perspective, insights, and opinion on the Big 4 and being in a client focused role i.e. Audit, Tax etc. I understand that people may disagree with my views, but again, this is my own perspective. This is simply to share my experience with others who may find it helpful and beneficial.

Here's my short summary: I joined a Big 4 company in the UK on the graduate program as a new analyst. I was there for approximately one and a half years, completed the part of my professional exams, and then left without anything else lined up (which I do not recommend!), now I'm on the job market looking for some totally different (I would not go back to that environment).

First of all, my expectations of what the Big 4 would actually be like were very different before I joined. I expected it to be extremely structured, with a developed pattern of work, and I would know what I would be doing on each day. However, this was far from the reality. Ultimately, there is little to no structure, you're doing different kinds of work for different clients, most of the time you don't have a clue what's going on, but that's "normal." You would form particular relationships with senior colleagues who would delegate you work, and then you would have these sort of "bonds" with these people and stick with them for future work, which leads me to one of my first issues I had.

Personally, I found it very strange that I would need to get on good terms with and almost suck up to senior colleagues. I'm a very independent individual, and I didn't like having to form special relationships with people to develop myself. In my team, everyone was very friendly, but seeing past the normal pleasantries, there's always the matter of how they perceive you individually. If people didn't like you personally, then they wouldn't get you on board with work that they do. So I had to try and put on a face for so long.

At the Big 4, fundamentally, you would need to really get onboard and have "interest" in the work that's going on. In my case, I just saw work as work. I wasn't really "interested" or "enjoyed" any of the projects that were going on. This is the opposite of how you need to be. If you're someone like me that doesn't care about seizing opportunities, really getting hands-on in the work with an eagerness to learn more, you're going to be VERY unhappy as I was. And there are actually many senior people like this in the Big 4, and let me tell you, they are very, very dissatisfied and unhappy people from my experience. The people who were happy were the ones who were the real "go-getters," winning their clients, digging for the latest information etc. For me, I really didn't care about helping a client make an extra £1000 profit. I could care less, there are more important things in the world for me to worry about. Just tell me what I need to do and I'll do it that was my personality, NOT THE RIGHT TYPE. This lack of interest also causes problems in learning and development. If you're not interested, then it's going to be more of a big struggle to pass your qualifications. This isn't the type of job where you work your hours, you go home, and do the things you want. There are jobs and roles out there where you can simply cruise along, take a more laid back approach and just do your tasks and leave it at that. You can't do that at the Big 4, you have to really integrate yourself or at least attempt to.

You also have to be into the social culture. Every week there would be drinks down at the pub. Most folks in the UK here like to drink beer all evening and talk smack/small talk over trivial things I don't. And I wouldn't make an effort to conform and attend these events. Others that I know didn't enjoy it still would go because they know if they didn't they would lose popularity, which would affect their work relationships and subsequently future opportunities. Me personally, I couldn't care less how popular I was with other people. My attitude was "I don't care, I am me and you are you," and this did have a big effect on my work relationships naturally. I was still open and friendly with everyone else, but there was no genuine connection other than that except with a few odd people I found similar to myself.

When you're like this, you can only keep it up for so long. Don't get me wrong, somewhat similar individuals like myself do remain at the big 4, they do manage to complete their qualifications and move on, but they end up being VERY UNHAPPY and dissatisfied. It's a great career path for many, with great growth opportunities, pay increases, etc. But it just wasn't for me personally. I could've stuck it out, put my head down and suffered, but I simply didn't want to and I did not see it as a career for me besides.

I could go on and on in great detail, but I think enough been said to take in by readers I appreciate all those who read my little experience. Please do share your comments and thoughts, I’m happy to answer questions about the Big 4 and my experience or if anyone wants to msg to talk directly happy for that too!
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Due Means
Disclaimer: This post is entirely based on my own experience, perspective, insights, and opinion on the Big 4 and being in a client focused role i.e. Audit, Tax etc. I understand that people may disagree with my views, but again, this is my own perspective. This is simply to share my experience with others who may find it helpful and beneficial.

Here's my short summary: I joined a Big 4 company in the UK on the graduate program as a new analyst. I was there for approximately one and a half years, completed the part of my professional exams, and then left without anything else lined up (which I do not recommend!), now I'm on the job market looking for some totally different (I would not go back to that environment).

First of all, my expectations of what the Big 4 would actually be like were very different before I joined. I expected it to be extremely structured, with a developed pattern of work, and I would know what I would be doing on each day. However, this was far from the reality. Ultimately, there is little to no structure, you're doing different kinds of work for different clients, most of the time you don't have a clue what's going on, but that's "normal." You would form particular relationships with senior colleagues who would delegate you work, and then you would have these sort of "bonds" with these people and stick with them for future work, which leads me to one of my first issues I had.

Personally, I found it very strange that I would need to get on good terms with and almost suck up to senior colleagues. I'm a very independent individual, and I didn't like having to form special relationships with people to develop myself. In my team, everyone was very friendly, but seeing past the normal pleasantries, there's always the matter of how they perceive you individually. If people didn't like you personally, then they wouldn't get you on board with work that they do. So I had to try and put on a face for so long.

At the Big 4, fundamentally, you would need to really get onboard and have "interest" in the work that's going on. In my case, I just saw work as work. I wasn't really "interested" or "enjoyed" any of the projects that were going on. This is the opposite of how you need to be. If you're someone like me that doesn't care about seizing opportunities, really getting hands-on in the work with an eagerness to learn more, you're going to be VERY unhappy as I was. And there are actually many senior people like this in the Big 4, and let me tell you, they are very, very dissatisfied and unhappy people from my experience. The people who were happy were the ones who were the real "go-getters," winning their clients, digging for the latest information etc. For me, I really didn't care about helping a client make an extra £1000 profit. I could care less, there are more important things in the world for me to worry about. Just tell me what I need to do and I'll do it that was my personality, NOT THE RIGHT TYPE. This lack of interest also causes problems in learning and development. If you're not interested, then it's going to be more of a big struggle to pass your qualifications. This isn't the type of job where you work your hours, you go home, and do the things you want. There are jobs and roles out there where you can simply cruise along, take a more laid back approach and just do your tasks and leave it at that. You can't do that at the Big 4, you have to really integrate yourself or at least attempt to.

You also have to be into the social culture. Every week there would be drinks down at the pub. Most folks in the UK here like to drink beer all evening and talk smack/small talk over trivial things I don't. And I wouldn't make an effort to conform and attend these events. Others that I know didn't enjoy it still would go because they know if they didn't they would lose popularity, which would affect their work relationships and subsequently future opportunities. Me personally, I couldn't care less how popular I was with other people. My attitude was "I don't care, I am me and you are you," and this did have a big effect on my work relationships naturally. I was still open and friendly with everyone else, but there was no genuine connection other than that except with a few odd people I found similar to myself.

When you're like this, you can only keep it up for so long. Don't get me wrong, somewhat similar individuals like myself do remain at the big 4, they do manage to complete their qualifications and move on, but they end up being VERY UNHAPPY and dissatisfied. It's a great career path for many, with great growth opportunities, pay increases, etc. But it just wasn't for me personally. I could've stuck it out, put my head down and suffered, but I simply didn't want to and I did not see it as a career for me besides.

I could go on and on in great detail, but I think enough been said to take in by readers I appreciate all those who read my little experience. Please do share your comments and thoughts, I’m happy to answer questions about the Big 4 and my experience or if anyone wants to msg to talk directly happy for that too!

I have a list of questions:
What have you decided to do now based on what you learned from this experience? Looking back, would you still have made the same choices in joining the Big 4, despite deciding now not to go back?
What were your specific reasons for joining the Big 4? I know there are usually a list of reasons for joining, but I am keen to know the ones that were most relevant for you
Was there anything you particularly regret in your experience? Was there anything you was particularly grateful for?
How big of a factor is having the right personality for the role or attitude for the company that you work for? Is it more important than other things that are considered in the recruitment process e.g. academic performance, experience, skills, etc.?
How much time do you actually have in studying for your exams? Did you find it a struggle to keep up with things?
They say there is often a lot of support in the Big 4 for your development in your career. Based on your description, would you say this is still true despite what it's actually like?
It's said that there is often a lot of churn in the companies; does the fact that there is a lot of attrition in retaining staff afftect the corporate culture? If so in what way?
How easy is it for the companies to get clients? Generally getting clients are pretty difficult for accounting services but this can be polarised due to the brand names, and I was wondering whether being in the Big 4 made any difference.
Were you based in London? If so, did the salary give you an "adequate" standard of living in the City?

Feel free to answer as many or as few questions as you like. I appreciate that some of the above questions might infringe on certain aspects of confidentiality and might be a bit too personal. If this is so feel free to add as little or as much detail as you like.

Thank you.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I have a list of questions:
What have you decided to do now based on what you learned from this experience? Looking back, would you still have made the same choices in joining the Big 4, despite deciding now not to go back?
What were your specific reasons for joining the Big 4? I know there are usually a list of reasons for joining, but I am keen to know the ones that were most relevant for you
Was there anything you particularly regret in your experience? Was there anything you was particularly grateful for?
How big of a factor is having the right personality for the role or attitude for the company that you work for? Is it more important than other things that are considered in the recruitment process e.g. academic performance, experience, skills, etc.?
How much time do you actually have in studying for your exams? Did you find it a struggle to keep up with things?
They say there is often a lot of support in the Big 4 for your development in your career. Based on your description, would you say this is still true despite what it's actually like?
It's said that there is often a lot of churn in the companies; does the fact that there is a lot of attrition in retaining staff afftect the corporate culture? If so in what way?
How easy is it for the companies to get clients? Generally getting clients are pretty difficult for accounting services but this can be polarised due to the brand names, and I was wondering whether being in the Big 4 made any difference.
Were you based in London? If so, did the salary give you an "adequate" standard of living in the City?

Feel free to answer as many or as few questions as you like. I appreciate that some of the above questions might infringe on certain aspects of confidentiality and might be a bit too personal. If this is so feel free to add as little or as much detail as you like.

Thank you.

Hi there, happy to answer your Qs. So in the order you asked:

At the moment I'm trying to get into something in either operations or customer service. A standard 9-5 that pays the bills, less stress and still gives me enough to save with, which I can do at the moment because I'm living with my parents. I personally want to stay away from accounting and finance, the only kind of finance I find any kind of enjoyment in is my own affairs and investments. I do some investing as a side hobby, but I have no interest in making it a career path.

Looking back perhaps I would join the big4 again but absolutely not anything to do on the client facing side of things. No accounting, no tax, no audit. Something in internal functions I would consider. I got to know some people in the office from internal functions and that side of the business I think I would've personally enjoyed a lot more, I wouldn't be jumping in and out on so many different tasks and clients, you know what you're doing each day, no appeasing the clients, a lot more structured, no exams etc. I know other people who would have that kind of work and enjoy client facing side of the business, but I'm the opposite. So internal functions I would've considered more.

I studied Maths at uni, so I suppose for me there was almost this expectation from almost everywhere: friends, online etc. That this is the ideal pathway. "This is a great opportunity! A really good career path! It's directly related to what you studied at uni" the reality was far different. So for me it was this kind of mindset of me thinking, "This is what I went to uni for, this is what I should do, I can become really successful and make loads of money!". I also thought it would be extremely organised and structured, and that once you're in the Big4 then you're on the high road. When in reality, it was the complete opposite.

I think my biggest regret is joining the Big 4 graduate scheme in the first place lol. Honestly I probably shouldn't have joined it, it was pretty much a waste of time for me considering the fact I don't want to do anything like that again ever. From the experience itself, there isn't much I would say I regret... Perhaps the fact that I should've made more of an effort to connect with my colleagues more? But that sort of thing works both ways, they weren't particularly interested in connecting with me and I wasn't interested in connecting with them. The personalities and "energies" were just too different.

I am grateful ultimately for the experience, and it also gave me the true insight into how the grad scheme really is. I know it's a great opportunity for many, but I quickly saw past the façade and realised the way things truly work here.

So in my experience the right personality was a really big factor of importance... Huge. Because on the grad scheme you won't be working independently, you'll be working with senior colleagues and others who delegate work to you. 99% of the work you do will be with other people, so if you like working independently this isn't the role for you lol. And when you're working closely with other people, personality matters. The better bonds you form with people, the more people will come back to you, take a liking to you, explain things to you so you can understand etc. If you don't have the right personality that people like, then when you work with them it will purely just doing the work and that's it. You won't learn effectively what's going on, because seniors won't invest the time in you. In order for you to succeed and really become integrated, the seniors NEED to invest in you, and no one will take the time to invest in your development if they don't like your individual personality or feel close with you. You can't succeed at the Big4 without experienced colleagues investing in you.

Factors considered in the recruitment process? Irrelevant. Academics don't matter at all unless you studied accounting and/or finance at uni, only that would help and with the ACA which is brand new knowledge. Because everything is new and practical working knowledge which you don't learn at uni and/or school. Experience and skills, also doesn't matter unless you've already done some accounting or finance because it will be totally unrelated. It won't help you because unless you know what you're doing (which you won't) you're pretty much like small fry compared to senior colleagues who know what they're doing through the right experience of actually working in the field.

They give you adequate amounts of study time I suppose. Not too much, not too little. You need to devote evenings to studying of course, certificate level exams you could pass or at least I could pass, with doing some revision and still having time to enjoy myself. Professional level exams... Hohoho... Totally different story... Professional level you literally have to have NO LIFE. I don't know what other crackpots are talking about on TSR when I read that they found certificate levels the hardest... Absolutely no clue what they're on about. Professional level exams were just a whole other level of difficult... Certificate level were a little hard but nowhere near as hard as professional. But again this my experience so I don't know how other people who think professional level exams are easy passed it lol.

Sure there's a lot of support available if you're really integrated, and really into it. Because again, people will see you're passionate and you love this bs... But in my experience, if you're like me who just cruised along then the support won't really be there or you won't notice much of it. There's promotions every year, so if you remain at the Big4 you will be promoted each year providing you're a good employee. So there's a lot of career development there in terms of promotions, and along with promotions come your salary increases so you won't need to worry about that.

Nope. Ultimately everyone knows how this is in the big 4 and it's accepted, that's the way things are. I was in a rather large team, people were coming and going, no one cares. The focus is the client. Sure people will say "Yeah sad to see them go." the next day it'll be business as usual. Only if someone really important leaves that a major client likes and is good terms with, that's when it affects the corporate culture because the client WANTS that person that they developed a close business relationship with. The person that knew their business, was solving their problems, went with them on lunches etc. When someone like that leaves, the client has to build that business relationship with someone else usually or it goes to the next level person or whatever. That affects the culture ultimately. Other than that, people come and go, sad to see them leave but who cares we've got a job to do and the client deadline is approaching. - That's basically the culture in a nutshell (Which I don't like)

There's actually a lot of competition between the Big 4 and retaining/losing clients to the other Big 4 firms. PWC and stolen so & so... I'm here thinking: "who cares? Let them have them, it's the client's choice. I'm not bothered". I would say for the Big 4 there's no issue in their client base, profits in our team were continuously on the rise, plenty of work to do, people are always busy. They just want to win as much clients and keep as many clients as possible, because they want to make more and more money, never enough. But for the Big 4 it's not an issue, they'll always have a healthy client base.

Yes I am based in London, the salary was very fair and decent. The usual upper end graduate scheme salary. I live with my parents so I have to worry less about rent and stuff, but for average london salaries yes it was very decent.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that gives you a good insight. Feel free to let me know your thoughts btw, I'd love to hear what you think so far based on everything I've said and what others may have told you.
Reply 3
Great post! Many thanks for posting.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Great post! Many thanks for posting.

Happy to share my experience! Feel free to ask if you have any Qs.
Reply 5
It isn't a case of "sucking up", but understanding how to get on with your superiors and colleagues. It oils the wheels much better than trying to be too independent. There is no "I" in teamwork.

If you don't enjoy the work it will show. Unmotivated colleagues are bad for morale.

Would it have too been difficult to go to the pub and not drink?

TBH it sounds like you were completely unsuited to the role, although this job sounds like my idea of a nightmare as well.
Reply 6
Original post by Nautilus
It isn't a case of "sucking up", but understanding how to get on with your superiors and colleagues. It oils the wheels much better than trying to be too independent. There is no "I" in teamwork.

If you don't enjoy the work it will show. Unmotivated colleagues are bad for morale.

Would it have too been difficult to go to the pub and not drink?

TBH it sounds like you were completely unsuited to the role, although this job sounds like my idea of a nightmare as well.

You're definitely right there on the teamwork aspect, I just didn't have the connection with that environment.

Sure I could have went to the pub and drink, I did on the odd occasion now and then but still hated it... People talking nonsense/small talk "My fiancé's uncle's dog got sick on the carpet on the weekend!", loud music playing in the background where you have to literally shout to hear what someone is saying, and sitting there like a doughnut. I'd rather not waste my time at the pub when I could be do something I actually enjoy doing in my spare time.

I suppose it just goes back to my expectations of what the role would be like was very different to the reality. It took me actually being in the role and experiencing it first hand to realise how much I hated it and I do think that's also the case for a lot of big4 drop outs unfortunately.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! Your detail is really insightful, especially where you've described your personality type, and what kind of personality suits that environment. I've heard so much general info about the big4 but its very interesting to hear your first-hand experience. I do have 2 questions:

1. What was it like being in such a big graduate cohort? Do people befriend each other? Or is it very competitive between graduates? Is there a lot of drama?
2. What key skills do you think you learnt from your time there?

Thank you!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by gradgirl123
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! Your detail is really insightful, especially where you've described your personality type, and what kind of personality suits that environment. I've heard so much general info about the big4 but its very interesting to hear your first-hand experience. I do have 2 questions:

1. What was it like being in such a big graduate cohort? Do people befriend each other? Or is it very competitive between graduates? Is there a lot of drama?
2. What key skills do you think you learnt from your time there?

Thank you!

Hey there, thanks for your reply and great questions!

With the team you’ll be assigned to there will (usually) be other graduates joining you in the same team, and so you will be on the journey together with them. Grads usually make friends with each other, and they all tend to be supportive and friendly unless you’ve got some pompous grads joining. There are likely to also be some international grads, it's a bit harder to relate and be friendly with them obviously because of the cultural difference and language barrier. It can get a bit competitive when you want to impress seniors to work more with them, a lot of grads will naturally want to impress the seniors however they can. Also when it comes to exams with studying, scores etc but because I was so disinterested and couldn’t care less about who I impressed, I dissociated myself from all that.

Key skills I would say are project management side of things, admin procedures, teamwork and basic analyst knowledge of the field/area you’ll be working in: audit, tax etc.
(edited 10 months ago)
Hey there, thanks for your reply and great questions!

With the team you’ll be assigned to there will (usually) be other graduates joining you in the same team, and so you will be on the journey together with them. Grads usually make friends with each other, and they all tend to be supportive and friendly unless you’ve got some pompous grads joining. There are likely to also be some international grads, it's a bit harder to relate and be friendly with them obviously because of the cultural difference and language barrier. It can get a bit competitive when you want to impress seniors to work more with them, a lot of grads will naturally want to impress the seniors however they can. Also when it comes to exams with studying, scores etc but because I was so disinterested and couldn’t care less about who I impressed, I dissociated myself from all that.

Key skills I would say are project management side of things, admin procedures, teamwork and basic analyst knowledge of the field/area you’ll be working in: audit, tax etc.

Interesting! It’s nice to hear that at least there is friendly-ness and support amongst the grads.

Thank you for your answers, it helps a lot! Good luck with what you’re planning to do next!
Building close relationships, having an actual interest in work, having the right personality, having to work in a team, fitting into the company culture, and work being unstructured at times are factors that would apply in any job
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by yeet_21
Building close relationships, having an actual interest in work, having the right personality, having to work in a team, fitting into the company culture, and work being unstructured at times are factors that would apply in any job

I would strongly disagree, not meaning to offend but it seems as though you're speaking out of ignorance. Have you had an opportunity to work in different environments/roles to see similarities and differences? I've worked in a civil service role where the approach and factors needed were very different. Where your work is more independent and individual managed, there's a far lesser need to worry about your relationships formed and the type of personality you maintain. I've worked in the education industry where you have to follow policy and guidelines but once you do that, there's little expectation for you having to have a right kind of personality, working in a team and unstructured work. Are you meaning to tell me that working in a Big4 grad scheme would be the same as working in a completely different industry like teaching or pharmaceuticals?

Many organisations for example don't try and formulate a "culture", a culture is only formed when people of shared interests come together to set a standard. If a standard is never set then there's never a culture formed. Also for example in a non client facing role, structure is a lot more concrete. In the grad scheme you don't know what you'll be doing tomorrow for example, a client can shoot a request or a new major project could come in at any moment that you need to jump in on or else but in a non client facing role say in internal functions or operations, you know exactly what you're going to be doing each day and each week. The workloads and activity will fluctuate but ultimately it's a lot more monotonous.
(edited 10 months ago)
I would strongly disagree, not meaning to offend but it seems as though you're speaking out of ignorance. Have you had an opportunity to work in different environments/roles to see similarities and differences? I've worked in a civil service role where the approach and factors needed were very different. Where your work is more independent and individual managed, there's a far lesser need to worry about your relationships formed and the type of personality you maintain. I've worked in the education industry where you have to follow policy and guidelines but once you do that, there's little expectation for you having to have a right kind of personality, working in a team and unstructured work. Are you meaning to tell me that working in a Big4 grad scheme would be the same as working in a completely different industry like teaching or pharmaceuticals?

Many organisations for example don't try and formulate a "culture", a culture is only formed when people of shared interests come together to set a standard. If a standard is never set then there's never a culture formed. Also for example in a non client facing role, structure is a lot more concrete. In the grad scheme you don't know what you'll be doing tomorrow for example, a client can shoot a request or a new major project could come in at any moment that you need to jump in on or else but in a non client facing role say in internal functions or operations, you know exactly what you're going to be doing each day and each week. The workloads and activity will fluctuate but ultimately it's a lot more monotonous.

I've worked in quite a few jobs in different industries, probably more jobs than I can remember because of temp assignments. And sure working in a factory for instance didn't really require a personality, but it was still worth developing it by talking to people and developing my social skills. Discounting things that might not be necessary (but it's still possible to develop) is a negative way of thinking. Any experience is good experience imo. The factory work might be small but it's still worth something I can draw upon. In my current role a growth mindset is required to progress and succeed in your career. It's probably why I get invited to lunch and learns and events that have nothing to do with my job because those skills probably will be needed one day so it's useful to gain some experience now.
Reply 13
Original post by yeet_21
I've worked in quite a few jobs in different industries, probably more jobs than I can remember because of temp assignments. And sure working in a factory for instance didn't really require a personality, but it was still worth developing it by talking to people and developing my social skills. Discounting things that might not be necessary (but it's still possible to develop) is a negative way of thinking. Any experience is good experience imo. The factory work might be small but it's still worth something I can draw upon. In my current role a growth mindset is required to progress and succeed in your career. It's probably why I get invited to lunch and learns and events that have nothing to do with my job because those skills probably will be needed one day so it's useful to gain some experience now.

I don't disagree that self development and improvement is important in any work environment, I never claimed that it isn't important. Since you have a mixed history of work experience I'm sure you would agree that specific attitudes, approaches and a mindset one would display in a big 4 position would not be the same as another position in a different field or industry.

Really interesting, thank you for sharing your experience and letting others ask questions.

I am currently on a big4 grad scheme and not very happy on it either.

What was your final straw moment that made you decide to quit? Considering you were doing a qualification that I assume your employer funded, where there any problems with just leaving that? Did they ask you to pay any of the fees or anything back?

Did you have people in your company you tried to talk to beforehand, see if you could switch roles or something similar. It seems pretty rigid to me as long as you are on the grad programme sadly.

Again thanks for taking the time to answer questions, really appreciate it.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Liesel123456
Really interesting, thank you for sharing your experience and letting others ask questions.

I am currently on a big4 grad scheme and not very happy on it either.

What was your final straw moment that made you decide to quit? Considering you were doing a qualification that I assume your employer funded, where there any problems with just leaving that? Did they ask you to pay any of the fees or anything back?

Did you have people in your company you tried to talk to beforehand, see if you could switch roles or something similar. It seems pretty rigid to me as long as you are on the grad programme sadly.

Again thanks for taking the time to answer questions, really appreciate it.

No worries, sorry to hear you're not enjoying your grad scheme.

For me the finisher was mainly the exam period, it was a good point for me to exit as I really had no dedication or interest to study for the accounting certification. Without that dedication or interest, you won't pass with 99% probability.

There were no repayment/funding problems arising from me leaving fortunately. I know that sometimes Big4 firms make you pay back the money but nothing like that for me. In regards switching roles, I found out that they will not allow you to do that if you're on the funded training programme. Which makes sense because they've literally invested money for your studying and exams, so the last thing they want is you leaving/switching to another role when they've already invested in your training. That was where I was working but it may be different for you, so it's worth finding out about.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending