The Student Room Group

Recording Oxford Lectures

hi! i am dyslexic and one of the strategies i have come up with to mitiage some of my difficulties is to record my teachers (with permission) when they explain certain topics and I find that my comprehension increases when I can hear someone explain rather than just reading notes
Has anyone been able to record lectures at Oxford Uni? Do they allow this or is it generally frowned upon?
obviously, I wouldn't record without permission, but just out of curiosity because i am thinking of applying there
thank you so much!
Original post by MayaVellichor
hi! i am dyslexic and one of the strategies i have come up with to mitiage some of my difficulties is to record my teachers (with permission) when they explain certain topics and I find that my comprehension increases when I can hear someone explain rather than just reading notes
Has anyone been able to record lectures at Oxford Uni? Do they allow this or is it generally frowned upon?
obviously, I wouldn't record without permission, but just out of curiosity because i am thinking of applying there
thank you so much!

Universities typically have well defined rule sets for this, in my institution lectures are automatically recorded, but individual recording by students are specifically forbidden. That's for reasons of IP ownership and to prevent some kinds of abuse of staff.
Reply 2
thank you so much!

Many (most? all?) departments in Oxford automatically record lectures. If this is not done, then the Disability Advisory Service often grant permission for a student to record lectures if they deem it a necessary, reasonable adjustment. What subject(s) are you interested in?
Reply 3
Original post by RichE
Many (most? all?) departments in Oxford automatically record lectures. If this is not done, then the Disability Advisory Service often grant permission for a student to record lectures if they deem it a necessary, reasonable adjustment. What subject(s) are you interested in?

oh that sounds great! im interested in physics and philosophy (it looks like an amazing course)
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Universities typically have well defined rule sets for this, in my institution lectures are automatically recorded, but individual recording by students are specifically forbidden. That's for reasons of IP ownership and to prevent some kinds of abuse of staff.

i'll be sure to ask on an open day :smile: thank you!
Reply 5
oh that sounds great! im interested in physics and philosophy (it looks like an amazing course)

Physics definitely used to record lectures. You can find some of them on YouTube, though many of them are old and not great quality, but they may be worth a look at. I imagine the quality has improved since then.
Reply 6
thank you so much!

Some subjects do this more easily than others. As you are dyslexic you should be able to get lecture recordings through the Disability Advice Service even if your course doesn't (and departments tend to record compulsory ones for disability access).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending