The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

exeter attendance policy

how does exeter feel about students missing a couple of days of uni? i want to go to glasgow during term time for a concert i booked ages ago but idk how strict exeter are about student attendance :frown:(
I doubt they would even know.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by izagrace
how does exeter feel about students missing a couple of days of uni? i want to go to glasgow during term time for a concert i booked ages ago but idk how strict exeter are about student attendance :frown:(

They are completely fine with it. As long as you're not missing essays/summative work (work that counts towards your final grade), you can just not attend anything. Second Term last year I attended about 4 lectures total due to mental health issues, and the only reason they noticed is because I missed 2 pieces of lab work. It's not like college or secondary school where they'll take a registration at the start of the day; it's your responsibility to manage your time.

Hi izagrace,

We strongly encourage students to attend everything on their timetable in order to get the most out of their degree and succeed! You may find that some subjects will take attendance (mine personally doesn't) and that sessions may be compulsory in some subjects. However, from my personal experience as a student, it is completely okay to take time off if you need it. For example, I have missed a couple of Friday lectures for much-needed time with my family.

I'd suggest if you are going to miss something, email your lecturer/seminar leader in advance to let them know that you won't be coming. Catch up on the lecture/seminar later on. Furthermore, book into their office hours to go over the session and clarify your understanding - this is a really valuable opportunity and I would highly recommend taking it up.

University is about balance, especially in your first year when you are settling into university life! Enjoy your concert, but also catch up with your work!

Have fun!

Ellie, University of Exeter Student Ambassador

My daughter attended maybe 10 lectures last academic year. Nobody checked, nobody cared - she could have been dead in her room for all they knew.
are lectures posted online
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by CuriousGuy_

Lectures are recorded and posted online for most (if not all) modules as far as I know. I can confirm at least that maths and compsci post lecture recordings online for their modules
Original post by CuriousGuy_

Hi CuriousGuy_,

In my experience (studying biology), all lectures have been recorded and posted online. Other types of learning methods like seminars, workshops, or practicals aren't always recorded and posted online.

I hope this helps!

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending