The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Chemistry department 2022 - biggest scam in history of higher education???

My daughter just started her first year at Imperial Chemistry and she was shocked to learn that all the lectures will be ONLINE like they were during COVID.

We are simply fed up with this online nonsense.

This is not what she has signed up for. This is not what we are paying money. They say it is for your own convenience. Total rubbish. If she wanted to learn online she would go to youtube. And youtube has much much superior online content. Imperial's online lectures are total rubbish made during Covid where tutors give lectures from their bedrooms with rubbish sound not even bothering to buy a £5 microphone to improve sound. They say it gives more choice. No, it doesn't give any choice at all. There would be choice if there were offline in person lectures and online lectures. But there is no offline lectures at all, so no choice.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did they say it would be in-person lectures?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Assuming you’re not a troll and this is actually the case then I hugely sympathise with your daughter. Covid’s over and if they’re still doing everything online then to me it just sounds like an excuse so the lecturers can stay in bed all day. Part of the uni experience is going into lecture theatres and seeing the lecturer deliver their material in front of you. You miss out on so much by it all being online: you lose the crucial social time of speaking to your friends and fellow undergrads in the break between lectures and you also miss being able to directly ask the lecturer things and getting an in person response. And of course all the other non-course activities and opportunities that require most of the university to be there in person. I would have been fuming if my chemistry degree had all been online. It’s really not on and a disgrace really for a uni as prestigious as Imperial. Hopefully the lecturers are forced to drag their arses out of bed for the lab modules and if somehow labs end up being online too I would recommend your daughter drop out and start her chem degree elsewhere.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by BlackFalcon
My daughter just started her first year at Imperial Chemistry and she was shocked to learn that all the lectures will be ONLINE like they were during COVID.

This is simply FRAUD. We are simply f* fed up with this online nonsense.

This is not what she has signed up for. This is not what we are paying money. They say it is for your own convenience. Total rubbish. If she wanted to learn online she would go to youtube. And youtube has much much superior online content. Imperial's online lectures are total rubbish where tutors give lectures from their bedrooms with rubbish sound not even bothering to buy a £5 microphone to improve sound. They say it gives more choice. No, it doesn't give any f. choice at all. There would be choice if there were offline lectures and online lectures. But there is no offline lectures at all, so no choice.

Do you think students are happy? No, they are not f. happy at all. You f. fraudsters!!! BURN IN HELL!

Assuming this is not a troll post, I’m definitely surprised by this.

I recall reading somewhere that Imperial intends to do all teaching this year in person. If the lectures were done in person, whilst being recorded, so that the recordings could be shared with students afterwards, that would make sense and be a useful means of revision (of course, only if they got their microphones sorted).
Hang on OP, so two years ago you were asking about whether to move to a different school to do A levels and now you suddenly have a university aged daughter?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Hang on OP, so two years ago you were asking about whether to move to a different school to do A levels and now you suddenly have a university aged daughter?

@blackfalcon, bro u just got exposed
oh no, someone got rejected from imperial and is not happy about it
Not a troll, I've logged in under my daughter's account, which is inactive any way, but my mistake, yes. I am simply fuming. A Levels finished and she started at Imperial. Imperial has online lectures ONLY in Chemistry department this year. All other departments' lectures are in person. This fact is even more infuriating. This is a verifiable fact which can be confirmed by anyone from Imperial. Labs and everything else, thank god, is in person, but that is not enough.

Plantagenet Crown, you are absolutely correct, this is an absolutely different experience. This is simply a disgrace and FRAUD which had not been disclosed in the prospectus.
Original post by BlackFalcon
Not a troll, I've logged in under my daughter's account, which is inactive any way, but my mistake, yes. I am simply fuming. A Levels finished and she started at Imperial. Imperial has online lectures ONLY in Chemistry department this year. All other departments' lectures are in person. This fact is even more infuriating. This is a verifiable fact which can be confirmed by anyone from Imperial. Labs and everything else, thank god, is in person, but that is not enough.

Plantagenet Crown, you are absolutely correct, this is an absolutely different experience. This is simply a disgrace and FRAUD which had not been disclosed in the prospectus.

That is bloody unacceptable. Will they definitely be in person next year? Imperial need to be clear on this because having one year online is bad enough as it is but more than that is beyond ridiculous and would massively ruin her uni experience.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
That is bloody unacceptable. Will they definitely be in person next year? Imperial need to be clear on this because having one year online is bad enough as it is but more than that is beyond ridiculous and would massively ruin her uni experience.

No, everyone pretends like nothing special is happening, like it is a good thing somehow, as if it has been like this all the time and will stay forever. We are simply shocked.
Reply 10
Just to be clear here, I have also just started at Imperial as a first year doing Chemistry. We have been told that the vast majority of our lecture will be online or 'asynchronous' as the uni likes to call it. The only in person lectures are 3 hours once every two weeks. The workshops/labs are on campus but these are to review knowledge gained in lectures. It is also correct that all the other departments from what I can tell are teaching in person. There are days where I don't have to leave my room in halls as far as the uni is concerned.The uni says theyre doing it this way because the students like it. They absolutely f. do not. People are absolutely furious about this, especially 2nd/3rd years who have endured 1/2 years of online lectures. I personally don't understand why I am paying so much money for this when it feels like the uni is not upholding their end of the deal. This absolutely stinks.
Pretty sure the biggest scam in the history of higher education was Trump University lol...

Also pinning this on the lecturers is hardly fair, as they most likely had no involvement in the decision, and insisting they pay out of pocket for equipment the university should provide them to do their jobs also isn't fair. Most lecturers Ive had hated teaching online because they had no way to engage with the class and it was hard for them to gauge how well the cohort was handling the material so they can adjust their teaching.
(edited 1 year ago)
Third year student here. Not at Imperial though.

Two things:

1) Fully in person higher education is completely dead. You will never go onto a degree course in the United Kingdom that is 100% in person. Every single degree course has some sort of online element now. Does not matter if it’s Bolton or Brighton, Cambridge or London Met, there will be an online element.

I have only had about 20 in person lectures since I started my degree.

2) The real reason why all lectures are online is because the course is oversubscribed and therefore universities can fit more students into a Zoom room than a lecture theatre.

3) If you want to change this you can do two things:

- Don’t go onto higher education. If less people attend higher education there will be less students in degree courses and therefore less reason for online teaching to take place

- Change courses and go onto courses with smaller year groups, like 30 students rather than 130 which should provide for a more individualistic and have greater in person experiences
Reply 13
Original post by Thisismyunitsr

Two things:

1) Fully in person higher education is completely dead. You will never go onto a degree course in the United Kingdom that is 100% in person. Every single degree course has some sort of online element now. Does not matter if it’s Bolton or Brighton, Cambridge or London Met, there will be an online element.

2) The real reason why all lectures are online is because the course is oversubscribed and therefore universities can fit more students into a Zoom room than a lecture theatre.

- Don’t go onto higher education. If less people attend higher education there will be less students in degree courses and therefore less reason for online teaching to take place

- Change courses and go onto courses with smaller year groups, like 30 students rather than 130 which should provide for a more individualistic and have greater in person experiences

We are not complaining that there is an online element - we are complaining that the *vast majority* of teaching is being done online, especially when other departments seems to be doing better.

Your point 2 doesn't apply here. Imperial has massive lecture theatres at White City that can accomodate everyone in the year which they have proved by scheduling the bi-weekly lectures
(edited 1 year ago)

Two things:

Orrr hold the uni accountable? There are plenty of unis that have gone back to fully in-person. Why can't they? It's their fault for oversubscribing students and their problem to deal with. The students shouldn't suffer because the uni can't pull themselves together.
Original post by jojaco
We are not complaining that there is an online element - we are complaining that the *vast majority* of teaching is being done online, especially when other departments seems to be doing better.

Your point 2 doesn't apply here. Imperial has massive lecture theatres at White City that can accomodate everyone in the year which they have proved by scheduling the bi-weekly lectures

Fair enough I guess
Original post by kaorimiyazono
Orrr hold the uni accountable? There are plenty of unis that have gone back to fully in-person. Why can't they? It's their fault for oversubscribing students and their problem to deal with. The students shouldn't suffer because the uni can't pull themselves together.

Or don’t attend and solve the issue entirely?
Fair enough I guess

Or don’t attend and solve the issue entirely?

How is not attending gonna solve the issue?
Is this actually true? @jojaco joined today ... I have a feeling it's OP. I just can't comprehend how Imperial, a top STEM uni can do this?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by kaorimiyazono
How is not attending gonna solve the issue?

If you do not attend university then there are no lectures and no online teaching and it doesn’t matter anymore
Original post by ThrowITAllAway
Is this actually true? @jojaco joined today ... I have a feeling it's OP. I just can't comprehend how Imperial, a top STEM uni can do this?

Well, perhaps someone saw the thread and decided to make an account to post their experiences.

Students' opinions on prerecorded lectures are more divided than you might think. Most of them, by the time they got to 2nd or 3rd year, would've stopped bothering to turn up and watched the recordings instead anyway. The ability to pause, rewind, and actually choose your own schedule is something that is missed with live lectures.
But the social aspect, particularly for first-years, is very important indeed. And first-years who are used to having a rigid schedule might benefit in the short term from keeping live in-person lectures.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending